Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
MrOrange

My little mold war

About 2 months ago my 150 quart got hit with a lil mold. It was inside a slb that held 6 smokes. I got the box outta there smoked the worst cigar and cleaned up the rest, then the box went into solitary confinement in a spare cooler. I figured the drain plug was the cause since the box was right next to it, and closed it. Well last night I discovered my special smokes got hit, they are near the drain plug and where the other box was 2 months ago. One stick will be smoked this afternoon the rest were cleaned and are in the spare cooler.
After a search on here for info, I emptied the cooler and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol. I also cleaned the cedar boxes were the mold lived with alcohol. The boxes will prolly not be used to store cigars again. I also had a slb with holes drilled in it to hold beads, I got rid of that thinking that it was not exchanging air like the mesh bead socks do. Then I inspected every box from the cooler, saw some nice crystal plume on a few boxes, definitly not mold it was uniform and sparkled.
I then reloaded the cooler, only 5 sticks had mold this time so I caught it fairly quick. Hopfully the mold is gone, btw it was white cotton pinhead size mold. If Fog's have further advice I would apprecite it.

p.s. No "send me the sticks and I will dispose of them replies"

Thanks, Brian