Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 01-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
N8DCJ
Club Member

Homemade Ravioli

Spent the afternoon making ravioli... this is the first time trying this but it seemed to work ok ... I have the pasta attachments for the kitchenaid stand mixer which makes rolling the dough out very easy and uniform thickness.

just used the ingredients we had on hand for the fillings , first batch was cottage cheese and spinach , second was veal and the last was sweet potato... probably made maybe 120 in total... after doing this I can see better ways to assemble the ravioli's next time...

got tired of making ravioli , so used the last of the dough to make spaghetti noodles , so that is what we will eat tonight , everything else in freezer...

Dan
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I used to make and freeze them in large batches. Since then, I've found easier ways. Nowadays, I make homemade ravioli with a butternut squash and ricotta mix. Only on request. My son loves them in a brown butter sauce. He's turning 22 tomorrow and if he was home, you can bet I'd be making a batch for him.

Egg roll wrappers are essentially pasta and you can make 4 raviolis at a time almost as quickly as you can do one.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:18 PM   #3
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

just not worth the effort to me, but glad you enjoyed the experience

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:25 AM   #4
vernonator
Herf Meister

Egg roll wrappers are a great hack for quick rav. I quit freezing, with the KA attachments I can whip out a batch of dough and make the Rav almost as fast as it takes a pot of water to boil. Mad some last night in fact. Wife picked up some lump crab (only seafood daughter will eat) so I made crab rav with a quick cream sauce with garlic and bacon. Pretty good for a Monday night.
vernonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:49 AM   #5
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Envious.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:19 AM   #6
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I have an Atlas hand roller. It isn't difficult, but it is time consuming. I haven't used it in at least 15 years.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:10 AM   #7
PCaponi
Herf Cop
Herf Meister

I have a hand crank machine for the pasta and a 12 section cutter. Lay one sheet of pasta on the rack. Add your filling. Lay another sheet on top and close it. 12 raviolis just like that. I like a cheese, pork/beef and spinach filling, but never say no to seafood.