Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #1
maduromadness
Banned

The Amount of Time Needed to Soak the Humistat Sponge with D

How long do you have to let the distilled water soak into the green humistat sponge when you recharge the humistat on a humidor?

The way I do it is I pour a generous amount of distilled water inside the top of the humistat where the slots are and I leave it laying flat with the water filled all the way to the top inside the green humistat sponge for 5 to 6 minutes. I then pour out the distilled water, then shake the humistat so all the water comes out and then I refill the humistat again for a second time with distilled water. The second time around, I don't let the humistat sit at all with the water inside it. After I fill it with distilled water for a second time, I just shake the water out and wipe down the humistat with a paper towel.
Then I place it into the humidor.

Is this procedure that I'm using alright? Am I overdoing it by placing too much distilled water inside the humistat's green sponge? I make sure that I always shake the humistat a few times so no excess distilled water is present inside the humistat in order to prevent any distilled water from getting on my cigars. I then wipe the humistat dry with a paper towle and put it back inside the humidor. Is this a proper way to recharge the green sponge in the humistat?

ALSO, do you think that letting the green sponge soak for 5 to 6 minutes with the distilled water in it will cause the humistat sponge to give off too much humidity inside the humidor? I currently own four of the 25 count humidors and two of the 500 count Salvatore Footlocker type humidors. I use the same exact method that I described above for all of my humidors to recharge them.

Please tell me if the method which I am using to recharge all of my humidors is acceptable or whether I am doing anything wrong that will result in my cigars getting damaged with too much excess humidity from my soaking the humistats with a lot of distilled water for too long?
Thanks
maduromadness is offline   Reply With Quote