Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
apachebell

Alec Bradley, PDR 1878, ERDM and Padron

After being out of the game for awhile, I headed to Tobacco Leaf to pick up a few smokes. I grabbed 2 of my old staple, the Padron 2000, though I got it in Nat instead of Maddie, like I used to. I asked the young guy working there if he had any ERDMs. I bought some 2001s from a brother here and they were delectable. He showed me a box of Robustos and I grabbed 2. He then offered up the PDR 1878 Cubano Especial Madura. Never even heard of it but it looked lovely, so I took it.

I invited an old friend over for a drink and smoke. He is actually a regular smoker now, having picked it up after I quit. I got started long before he arrived.

I started with the Padron 2000 and was honestly disappointed right from the start. I can't put my finger on it, but I just was not diggin' it. I gave the other one to my buddy when he arrived so he could take it home. I am currently trying to deal with this most recent falling out between myself and my faithful Padron. We were once so close...

I moved on to the ERDM. Though not as wonderful as the old box I used to have, this one reminded me of why I smoke cigars and enjoy it so much. I loved it from first light until I nubbed it. I seem to remember a faint fruitiness to the ones I smoked before and I couldn't find it in this one. We will see what happens after I store a few boxes for awhile. I did NOT give the other one away. I smoked it a few days later and we equally satisfied.

Once my buddy showed up, we had a couple of Alec Bradley Prensado Churchills that he brought with him. I was not impressed. I put it down about 2/3 through. I had burn issues with it and it became very tight with little smoke after I dropped the first ash. This could have something to do with how my buddy stored it. At 2/3 the whole cigar was soft and very hot. I yield...

We cut and lit the PDR 1878 Cubano Especials and were instantly hooked. It was very spicy at the very beginning but smoothed out somewhat along the way. At times, the extreme spiciness crept back in, but only for a draw or two. Lots of smoke, great taste, a beautiful cigar... it burned cool and long, with a thick dense ash that gave off a thud when it hit the concrete. My buddy enjoyed that. I will definitely have more of these in my humi soon. I don't see a lot of people talking about these PDRs, but I am sold!

We spent about 6 hours smoking and drinking into the wee hours of the morning, catching up on old college days and just shooting the shit about jobs, politics, women, etc. We agreed that we will make this a regular event.

As I read through many of my old posts, it occurs to me that the great experiences I have had with cigars were rarely about just the cigar. It is about time shared with an old friend or other brothers... or a great way to put the perfect cap on a memorable day.

Man I missed it...

Tim