Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2008, 06:48 AM   #20
samiam2
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznut

I can just picture the description... "Subtle overtones of hosiery on the finish"

However, there is a significant distinction to be drawn between phenolic compounds as found in benzene and those as found in peat bogs. The latter, drawn from naturally decomposed vegetative matter, can vary widely in composition depending on location, age, depth and soil type. And these differences can manifest themselves during and after the malting process by infusing the barley (and further down the distillation road, the whisky itself) with any number of distinct characteristics. All it takes to realize this is to pour oneself some glasses of Laphroaig, Highland Park and Glen Garioch. Not only will one appreciate the respectively lower to higher levels of peat-reek in these whiskies, but one will also pick up on the stylistic differences (ranging from seaweedy and medicinal through heathery to richly earthy) amongst them as regards the phenolic aspects.
There you go again Jazzy, just trying to get me into trouble again...sample this and that..just now recovering from suggestions found in your book...keep up the good work my friend..