Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
Capitone
Starting Member

Blind Review: Master Gates Smoke (Robusto)

What I know:

Size: Robusto

Blind Review

Natural shade wrapper. Prominent veins showing throughout and a noticably flat side to the stick. Exam of the cap was a little wierd in that depending on which side you view it almost appears triple capped. Prelight draw divulges an extremely light hint of licorice. I mean a, you couldn't pick this out if you had something to eat prior, kind of light.

Lighting - draw is effortless. Smoke has a floral note about it that Im not really sure I care for. Definate moss and cucumber notes. Nothing i find particularly attractive in a cigar. It remained like this past the 1st inch or so at which time I reached for my rum to shake things up. The combination brings about a marshmellow character i enjoyed but it didn't stay very long. Towards the 2nd inch (still haven't ashed yet mind you) I could definately sense that licorice note skurting along the edges but it never really came to the forefront as I would have hoped.

Ash held like champ a bit past the half mark where it fell of it's own accord. I keep a saucer shaped ashtray for cigars like these when Im trying to see how long a smoke will hold it's ash. It fell quietly enough, but left the end of my smoke in need of a touch up. As solid as the ash was on the stick, upon igniting my Xikiar, miniscule particles of salt and pepper colored ash swirled all over the place. Ash is very flaky once broken.

2/3 mark she finally picks up a bit but im not sure if my Rum is to thank for the change or not. In either case, it was welcome as a slight pick-up on spice with soft notes of graham cracker emerge. Mature tobacco comes to mind at this point. It's not hot and burning pretty well. As i near the nub I get nuances of cheese. Something I did not expect but the closer to the nub I got, the less pleasant the body of the smoke became. I put her down maybe 1.5 inches away from the cap.

I enjoyed the opportunity to try something so old. Started pretty boring, yet picked up toward the end.

Score: 3/5