Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-28-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
BBender
Starting Member

Let's talk about Humidex

Alright, let's talk about Humidex. Humidex is a cigar app that is only for iPhone at the moment. The guy making it said that he would like to release an Android version, but only when the iOS version gets enough users. Usually, it's $4.99. A little steep for an app, but everything considered, I think it's worth it. But, for a few days its $.99. It's a clean, good looking app in my opinion. But looks aren't everything, so here's what the app is all about.

With Humidex, you can keep a record of what cigars you have in your humidor(s). To compile this list, you'd use the search function to find your cigars and add them. If you can't find a certain cigar, there is an option to manually add information about that smoke.

Once you're ready to smoke one of your cigars that you've added to your list, you can open its information and tap "Smoke this cigar." This will bring up a slider that allows you to estimate how long your session will be. After you've confirmed that, the app will bring up a diagram of a cigar divided into thirds with a stopwatch kind of thing above the diagram. Light up and hit start. Based on the information for that particular cigar and how long you've estimated your smoke will take, a bar will move down the diagram at approximately the speed your cigar should be burning. It's not always going to be correct because we all smoke at different speeds, but I found it was two or three minutes ahead of me. During your smoke, you can add notes and flavor tags. The flavor tags are on a scale of 0-5 and there's several flavors to choose from. Some people may taste flavors that aren't listed, but that changes from person to person. Once you're done with your cigar, hit stop and the app will pull up a session review page. This page has a flavor wheel that shows you how much of one thing you tasted as compared to the everything else and an option to add some final notes about your session. Pretty good tool for writing reviews if you ask me. After you're done with your final notes and all, you get brought back to the cigar's information. Here, you'll notice that the number in the top right has decreased and your ending notes and flavor wheel have been added to the information.

Overall, I really like this app, but smartphones may not be for everyone. Those of us who enjoy the mobile technology will be able to benefit from this. Those who don't or are unfamiliar with it, c'est la vie, but please give this guy a look.

EDIT: Looks like the original price of $4.99 has been lowered to $1.99.

Last edited by BBender; 10-05-2015 at 11:27 PM.
BBender is offline   Reply With Quote