Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2007, 05:37 AM   #1
MalkavianX

Homebrew tasting notes: Santa Ynez Syrah

This was a monster wineExpert kit i picked up on the lowdown (basically mistreated stock from when my employer at the time bought out a local competitor) and started it fermenting around February 06. Fermentation was mostly complete around may-june and it aged in a carboy with a hefty dose of oak until I bottled it in novemberish.

Now, I opened two bottles at a friend's wedding at the first of the year, and was a bit dissapointed--the wine's obviously a hair oxidised (put that down to my inexperience and the fact that I had to move the carboy via car) you can tell by the color and the fact that it has some nose and flavor quantities that i'd associate with port. However, I *do* like port so it's not a total loss. Still a bit of a heartbreak though, as originally this was a huge fruity beast of a syrah; now it's got a port-sweet nose (I read somewhere this might be teh result of over oaking) and a noticable alcohol burn.

I was almost scared to crack a bottle just now (yes, at 9.30) as the ones I'd given to my boss to try were horrifically oxidised, but i'm putting that down to their being stored in full flourescent light in a HOT office for 4-5 months.

At any rate, this stuff is dark DARK red-purple with just a tinge of muddy oxidation. Nose is all sweet vanilla-y oak (oops) with berry undertones. To me the taste isn't tangibly oaky, just a smooth jammy kind of affair with a very noticable alcohol bite (I forget the starting and finishing specific gravities on this but it's got a kick) Tannins not harsh but very noticable in terms of "furry teeth" feeling. I'm drinkin it right from the bottle here, but I think it *really* needs to be decanted so that sweet oak aroma dissipates.

I've got about 15 bottles left, think I'm just gonna find a cool closet (ooh, or maybe my parents basement) and try again this fall. Overall it's not bad, but that kit had way more potential.

MalkavianX is offline   Reply With Quote