Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2005, 10:11 AM   #1
MM

Por Larrañaga Petit Corona KVM NOV 04

Por Larrañaga Petit Corona KVM NOV 04

Measures: 127 mm x 16,5 mm
Age: Christmas arrived early as I recently received these cigars with just a bit over one year of age.
Setting: Winter proper has not really come yet to Helsinki: there has been hardly any snow, and the pale December sun has shone from clear skies on several days. This is quite uncharacteristical: mostly we don't expect to really see the sun again before February. It is also a lot warmer (or less cold) than usual.

The prevailing darkness still reminds of the fact that it's mid-winter after all. Today, of course, at least if we believe the Swedish-speaking part of the Finnish population (and why don't we), the back of the darkness is broken by St. Lucia, who brings back the light by wearing a long white dress and a twig garland with lit white candles in her hair. This is called Luciadagen. So remembering that the Spring will come again after all I grabbed one of the PLPC's, ignoring the voice of reason saying that they need a longer rest before smoking, brewed some coffee and seated myself on the balcony with the cigar and warm clothing.

When opening the cabinet for the first time, I was surprised how dark and oily these cigars were. The wrapper felt almost like skin to my fingers: a few crystals of bloom reflected the light nicely. The cigar was fairly resilient, raising the suspicion that it is too humid or a tad underfilled. Nevertheless, after cutting the cigar, the draw appears to be quite all right.

My previous encounters with PL had come from the Panetelas, so knew something of what was supposed to happen after I had lit the cigar. Yet this experience - very favourable as it was - paled in comparison with the PC. The cigar was a flavour bomb. The flavour is unique: sweet caramel sitting on top of very pleasant tobacco taste that tingled the middle part of the palate. After the mid point the sweetness nevertheless receded a bit (but came intermittently back), and the cigar became somewhat sharper in profile, yet never becoming unpleasant or harsh. The cigar burned fairly well, needing a couple of corrections. I had to relight it twice.

Obviously this cigar was still too young to fully reveal what it has to offer. Nevertheless, I now understand why it has received quite enthusiastic support on this forum: it went directly close to the top of my list of most favoured Habanos PC's. Do yourself a favour and get a cab: I am very glad that I followed this advice myself. The thought that there still are 49 of these beauties waiting their turn is a comforting one.