Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2004, 12:46 AM   #1
ElkTwin

H. Upmann #2 '00 - Blind review

TSG #1
6x50 Belicoso
Filler - Cuba, Binder - Cuba, Wrapper - Cuba

A lovely EMS wrapper had some slight color variations and looked like it had been stretched over the frame of the well rolled belicoso. The cigar was light in the hand but very hard to the touch, like a balsawood tent peg. Well mixed filler showed nice color variation at the foot and there was a distinct cedar pre light aroma. I clipped it deeply and the pre light draw was firm and tasted of glue, like a fresh sheet of plywood.

Stingy with its smoke, the cigar took a while to light and the initial flavor tasted strongly of vanilla. The first inch or so had an interesting Jolly Rancher watermelon character. Even with a decent draw the smoke was hard to coax from it. The light finish tasted of laquer and didn't last long and a hint of acid bite tickled the sides of my tongue. The ash was light colored and very stubborn. This cigar was rolled by a craftsman; the careful bunching showed in the pattern of the ash.

This was a mild and medium bodied cigar. The aroma had a herbal overtone and tingled on the nose. A bit of canoeing raised an eyebrow between the 1/3 and 1/2 points but it self corrected before becoming a problem. The thin smoke was pleasant tasting in a Dominican way for most of the cigar, but it never delivered a knockout punch. Towards the end it took on the flavor of burning leaves and got a bit sour so I let it go out with an inch and a half left. The cigar never softened as it burned and the nub was a hard as a polynomial equation when I put it down.

A pretty cigar, this sample left me wanting. I wanted more smoke, more flavor, and more depth. Obviously a purebred, I can't help but wonder how much it cost. Possibly recommended. Thanks, Smokin' Gringo!

Appearance: 9/10
Construction: 8/10
Flavor: 16/20
Finish: 8/10
Smoking experience: 17/20
Aroma: 9/10
Overall impression: 17/20

Total: 84/100