Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #35
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Had an interesting thing happen yesterday. I checked my humidors maybe a week ago and everything was fine except the coolerdor. RH was in the low 70s. That's a no-no. Should be 65-67%. I stuck some small containers of beads in there to take up slack. Checked yesterday and it was still high. Looking at the large container I could see beads on top. But after about 11 years they looked pretty grungy. So I pulled them out and gave them a stir. To my surprise the majority of the container held silica powder! I dumped that out, cleaned off the sticky container and refilled it with the kitty litter beads. Originally the jug held seven pounds and I still have lots left. Anyway, checking today, the RH is back at 65%. The fresh beads are doing their job.
So, to answer a question asked long ago: Q: How long do kitty litter beads last? A: The kitty litter beads do in fact seem to have a finite life expectancy. And it seems to be around 10 years.
The humidifiers I have made with Climaxx or Heartfelt beads are older than that and are still doing the job fine.

Last edited by xrundog; 08-18-2017 at 02:30 PM.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote