Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

La Gloria Cubana Artesanos Retro Especiale Club

My latest order from JR included a surprise: a freebie! It was a sample of the latest offering from La Gloria Cubana: an Artesanos Retro Especiale Club. Called a Corona Grande, this vitola measures 5.75x47. Comparing it to the other sizes in the line, this was what I would have chosen.

I fired it up this morning. I didn't set out to do a formal review, so I didn't take notes, but I'll set this down while the impressions are fresh in my mind.

Beautifully constructed parejo with a slightly veiny colorado wrapper lightly sheened with oil. Firm and heavy in the hand, with no lumps or soft spots. Triple cap, clipped conservatively, perfect pre-light draw.

The first few draws were a little light in body, but once fully lit the cigar settled into a solid medium bodied smoke that produced dense clouds of smoke with slow, gentle draws. More complex than most La Glorias I've had in the past, with woody/earthy flavors and nuances of spice that came and went. Burn was perfect throughout,, requiring no touch-ups or re-lights.

The result was a solid hour-plus of enjoyment, accompanied by iced, fresh-roasted Brazil Bob O Link coffee and the morning paper. Very nice way to start the day.

Ernesto Perez Carillo and the folks at La Gloria have a true winner on their hands with this one. Gonna have to find room for a box...

Bottom line: Big name, great cigar.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
SmoKerch
Herf God

Nice review.

Sounds very good.

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:39 AM   #3
cbw2647

Actually, Ernie sold LaGloria years ago and has nothing to do with the cigars. His cigars are 'EPC' Ernesto Per...Car..... great cigars...
cbw2647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #4
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbw2647 View Post
Actually, Ernie sold LaGloria years ago and has nothing to do with the cigars. His cigars are 'EPC' Ernesto Per...Car..... great cigars...
Ah. Right you are...and it's right there in the blurb:

Quote:
After General Cigar Corp. completed the acquisition of La Gloria Cubana from Ernesto Perez Carillo, a group of managers were touring the old La Gloria Cubana factory in the Little Havana section of Miami when they found an antique humidor. For two years the La Gloria Cubana team set out to recreate the humidor and cultivate a new wrapper type for this project. The wrapper is a cross-breeding of a Connecticut seed, which was then cultivated in Honduras. This virgin crop yielded a hearty rich and full bodied wrapper despite its appearance. But it didn’t stop there and to add fuel to the fire a double binder of bold Nicaraguan and Mexican leaf was used in this blend. Then a fine aged selection of fillers to round out this smoke, proprietary Nicaraguan and Dominican ligero tobacco was also used to deliver additional body and pepper. The cigars are medium to full bodied and come in four sizes, each in its own unique box, carefully designed to resemble the original humidor and a bygone era.
Nonetheless, an excellent smoke.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 10-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Greenfire
Starting Member

Nice review - Doug!

I'll have to fire up the La Gloria Cubana - Atesanos Retro Especiale Club that I too recieved as a freebie with my recent order from JR.
Greenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
mannish
Herf God

I almost bought some of those yesterday - I really like the Artesanos Miama A LOT - I smoke a lot LGC cigars - I still dig the torps and wavells.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Len, my tastes drifted away from LGCs a bit with the recent releases (Series N, Artesanos de Tabaqueros, etc.) not doing a heck of a lot for me, but this was a really good cigar...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 10-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #8
tchapchap
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Top notch review, Doug, thanks for sharing!

I also received one in a recent JR order. Sounds like I better get on it!

(___|CW|_______))))~~~~

(unauthorized use of signature prohibited )
tchapchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
Zman

Mad Dawg,

Great review! This new LGC front mark is very well balanced and complex a must try for all LGC's lovers!

Ernie, had nothing to do with this cigar nor the last few releases such as the serie N, or the the other Artesanos Line extensions. His influence in La Gloria Cubana is still present and very much alive, these new cigars are being blended by Michael Gianinni and Yuri with input from legendary cigar master Benji Menendez. The last cigar Ernie, blended and actually started the Artesanos line was the Artesanos de Miami. Ernie left General Cigar/El Credito several years ago.

Ernie, started his own cigar company with his daughter and son called E.P. Carrillo. Great cigars and a must try.

Zman
Zman is offline   Reply With Quote