Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:17 AM   #1
sharil

The night I smoked a Fuente Fuente Opus X Reserva D' Chateau

November has been kind. Birthday and and meeting long awaited personal goal made me decide to light up the limited cigar that has been resting a while in the humidor.

As most with cigars that came out from the Fuente factory you can't ignore the inconsistency. I placed it beside the Ashton VSG of the same vitola and the ways both cigars are rolled are uncanny. This are cigars rolled by masters, I couldn't help but admire on how beautiful the cigar looked. Lighting one is sending it to its beautiful death, sorrowful but the event would eventually come anyway.

Pre-light drawing reminds me of sipping black tea, tangy but leaves a woody taste. The wrapper had this cinnamon smell, which is haunting. I know I was in for a treat but would it be as strong as it's little cousin. If so it would be a battle to smoke this one.

Toasting the foot it doesn't seem receptive to the flaming torch. An oily wrapper, a guaranteed cool smoke.

Of drawing the first time as with most lengthy cigars I've smoke gave little impression in taste. Some woody taste lingered but nothing notable.

A few more draws a little pepper bomb strikes, I could feel the heart beating fast the kind of feeling you get when the car speedometer has hit maximum. Fantastic.

It belted out some citrus notes; it tasted like your drinking tea with honey and lemon. Halfway some cinnamon emerges, I could fell some tanginess but the aftertaste was surprisingly very mild and tarry was nowhere near.

The last third it got very delicious. This is where strength was at its peak, nubbing it almost floored me but I kept my ground and the cigar was held its construction even towards the end.

A cigar of a different breed that does not keep much relying on the traditional grassy and coffee notes to excel in taste.

Safe to say, with more age this cigar would definitely deliver more than expected but at this time it's already good as it is.

A confirmation of what Carlos Fuente does best, making great cigars.

Toothpick worthy this cigar.
sharil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 12:18 PM   #2
moki
Club Member

Nice review Sharil; the RdC is a nice size (Churchill-sized) -- stronger than the double corona and certainly the "A", but not the full-frontal assault of some of the smaller Opus X's. It lasts a nice long time too, and has a wonderful finish.

Happy birthday, and congrats on your personal milestone!!

PS Yes, aged, these develop wonderful complexity.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:46 PM   #3
sharil

Quote:
Originally Posted by moki
Nice review Sharil; the RdC is a nice size (Churchill-sized) -- stronger than the double corona and certainly the "A", but not the full-frontal assault of some of the smaller Opus X's. It lasts a nice long time too, and has a wonderful finish.

Happy birthday, and congrats on your personal milestone!!

PS Yes, aged, these develop wonderful complexity.
Thanks for the wish bro.

I love how the flavour blossoms as it goes down.

Yum. Can't wait to try the rest of of the sizes.

A must try definitely.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:31 PM   #4
Shooter
Club Member

Great review!! Thanks for sharing your Opus X experience. I still really enjoy them when they get some age on 'em.

Good smokin' to ya!
Old 11-06-2004, 07:50 PM   #5
therealmingus

Quote:
Nice review Sharil; the RdC is a nice size (Churchill-sized) -- stronger than the double corona and certainly the "A", but not the full-frontal assault of some of the smaller Opus X's.
I've noticed this. The smaller the Opus, the stronger it seems. I've had a couple of the DCs, the RdC, Perfection X, Fuente Fuentes, Robustos, and the #5s. I'd probably also rank them for strength in about that order, from weakest to strongest. The Robustos knock me flat on my back. I absolutely have to go lie down after I have one. My favorites are the #5s because they pack so much in such a small package, and because I seldom have more than 45 minutes to devote to a cigar.
therealmingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 12:48 AM   #6
sharil

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmingus
Quote:
Nice review Sharil; the RdC is a nice size (Churchill-sized) -- stronger than the double corona and certainly the "A", but not the full-frontal assault of some of the smaller Opus X's.
I've noticed this. The smaller the Opus, the stronger it seems. I've had a couple of the DCs, the RdC, Perfection X, Fuente Fuentes, Robustos, and the #5s. I'd probably also rank them for strength in about that order, from weakest to strongest. The Robustos knock me flat on my back. I absolutely have to go lie down after I have one. My favorites are the #5s because they pack so much in such a small package, and because I seldom have more than 45 minutes to devote to a cigar.
it makes me wonder whether the smaller vitolas have a more potent blend.

Moki?
Old 11-08-2004, 06:54 AM   #7
moki
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharil
it makes me wonder whether the smaller vitolas have a more potent blend.

Moki?
It's the same blend -- smaller cigars just burn hotter, and the smoke has to travel through more leaves to reach you. They actually punched up the blend of the DCs a bit ago to counteract this.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:01 PM   #8
Ginseng

Nice account, Sharil. I've had mixed reaction to the OpusX. I don't know if it's just me.
Ginseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 04:13 PM   #9
Aizuddin

Opus = Yummy.

But CINNAMON? CINNAMON???

RAISINS LAH! RAISINS!!!!

Everyone says cinnamon. Maybe i'm just a raisin sorta guy.
Aizuddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:44 PM   #10
sharil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizuddin
Opus = Yummy.

But CINNAMON? CINNAMON???

RAISINS LAH! RAISINS!!!!

Everyone says cinnamon. Maybe i'm just a raisin sorta guy.
Raisins?! No lah. The smell is like cinnamon ler. Now be a good boy and go and smell the Opus again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginseng
Nice account, Sharil. I've had mixed reaction to the OpusX. I don't know if it's just me.
Is it good? Is it bad? To be honest there is no answer to that. Smoke what you like I guess.

However I find the Opus X a different beast alltogether from the more traditional taste of cigars. Which is quite unique can't wait to try one with more age.