Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2002, 01:02 PM   #1

On UBID.COM, I came across what I thought was a unique cigar call the Pinar 1958 Series B - a cigar made of pre-embargo cuban tabacco. I bought 5 PINAR cigars for $32. The cigar I received was Rothschild (4"x50) and had a delicate medium brown Colorado wrapper.

The backbone of the PINAR line is a Cuban Coronjo Rosado Pinar wrapper tobacco imported by Red Dot Cigar Co. of Trenton, NJ in 1958. The tobacco was rediscovered in August of 1997. The revised blend is approximately 50% PINAR tobacco and 50% aged Cuban-seed Nicaraguan tobaccos.

Since I like to have a fine wine when smoking a cigar, I decided to purchase a wine that I thought would enhance and contrast a "40-year" old tabacco. I bought a 20-year old "Twany-Port" wine (Churchhill's rated a 94). The taste is a combination of complex aromas and flavors of oak, fruit, and spices with a sharp finish that lingers on the palate. Absolutely delicious. I thought this wine both complemented and contrasted with the Pinar.

The taste of the cigar from start to finish was complex and consistent. The burn and construction was excellent. The body was medium, and the flavor was of earthy, musky, and "oak moss" in description. The best I can describe the taste is that of how a medieval French wine cellar would smell. This "musky" taste may turn some off, but I like it. I like fuller bodied cigars, but the flavor of this cigar made up for the lack of body. I would suggest that you try at least one of these complex and satisfying smokes. I have recently seen the PINARs on www.cigarbid.com.