Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2004, 11:53 AM   #1
JoeyBogus
Club Member

Oliva "O" Ole Natural (original-blend, red band)

I bought a box of these about a year and a half ago in response to the rave reviews heard around here. I must admit that at first I was rather underwhelmed with these, but as of late they seemed to have blossomed splendidly. Right now, I'm enjoying one whilst I watch the KC Chiefs trounce the Atlanta Falcons in the privacy of my garage.

Presentation: Packaged in a very nice red and black striped lacquered wooden box lined in red velvet.

Appearance: A parchment-textured dark brown wrapper with medium veins sporting a classy red cloth band. The cigar is firm to the squeeze and has a very subtle sweet scent.

Draw and smoke: An average draw with average smoke volume; not much to write about -- nothing surprising here.

Burn: A relatively even burn with no coning, canoeing, or other troubles. A medium-density "salt-and-pepper" medium-grey ash held to about 3/4".

Taste: Oaky and woody with notes of black cherry and some underlying sweet honey notes. Medium-bodied and medium strength; very nice.

Overall: As noted, these seem to have developed well with 18+ months of additional aging. What was originally perceived as a rather lackluster and somewhat harsh cigar has now become one of my top 5 domestics. Sadly, this blend has been replaced with the new Oliva "Bold", so once I'm finished with these they're history.