Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2003, 07:54 AM   #1
Mysterblues
Club Member

fighting the ban

Just thought I'd put some exerpts from what was in this mornings paper here in Rochester, NY
" The Empire State Restaurant & Tavern Assosiation has filed a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the law. The assosiation's attorney told the U.S. District Judge, the ban was causing irreparable harm to bar and restaurant owners, some of whom have lost up to 50% of their business.
Although the law provides waivers for undue financial hardship, Legislature failed to provide specific standards, leaving local health departments confused and unwilling to grant waivers.
Hundreds of businesses around the state had applied to their local health departments for a waiver but none had been granted, except for Eastman Kodak Co. in Rochester. An additional 60 to 70 have unsuccessfully sought exemptions from the state Health Department.
Because of the vagueness of the provisions, it would be possible for a bar to be denied a waiver in one county, while a bar in another county facing the same circumstances might receive one.
The Assistant Attorney General , meanwhile, questioned whether bars and restaurants were losing business because of the law. He said none of the bars included in the lawsuit had done any comprehensive studies that prove this.
Outside the courthouse, the Assitant Attorney General said that the purpose of the law was not to keep people in business (bastard!!!). The purpose is to protect public health. "
The rest is pretty much blah blah blah. Makes me wonder why he didn't say the law wasn't intended to keep people in business INSIDE the courthouse during the hearing............

And I can truely say, the ban has easily cut our bar business in half. The dinners are about the same , but there's a lot of money lost on our bar sales. Guess I won't be getting a raise anytime soon...........
Mysterblues is offline   Reply With Quote