Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 06-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
gui_tarzan
Herf God

Scallops question

I don't like lobster, it has a funny aroma and taste to me. Strangely enough, scallops do too only it's a stronger aroma. Not fishy, not spoiled, just odd and it is the same with fresh or frozen. But the weird thing is it makes me nauseous when I cook them. Why? I absolutely love seafood including clams and shrimp so why do lobster and scallops turn my stomach when I smell them cooking? More so scallops because they're done in a pan. I don't get it.

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
carmine7075
Herf God

Could be the beginning of shellfish allergy? Well that, or maybe you just don't like them.

Get some skate or black tip and see if you like it. They taste very similar to scallops, maybe better than what makes it to the Michigan market, and you would have no shellfish issues.

Last edited by carmine7075; 06-03-2013 at 05:47 PM.
carmine7075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
gui_tarzan
Herf God

No shellfish allergies. I just wondered if I'm the only one that can smell a stark difference in them.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
carmine7075
Herf God

My serious guess is that what you are getting in your local market isn't as fresh as it could or should be, and there is plenty of room for mishandling shellfish by the time its get delivered to locales far from its origin. The shellfish is possibly smelling "off", which is a smell that you would not like, and it being past its prime could easily make you feel nauseous.

Careful with shellfish allergy though, it can come out of nowhere, almost like its a cumulative effect in some people.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
carmine7075
Herf God

I do think scallops and lobster smell different from one another and both different from clams. Though, really fresh seafood smells mostly of the sea, like a salty sweetness. Imo, once it starts smelling of more than that its past its prime.

The old saying is a good fish market should not smell like fish.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
Bowie Fan
Club Member

Genetics??

Were you ever given the PTC (Phenylthiocarbamide)test in school? Some say PTC has a bitter taste, while others experience no taste at all. You either have the PTC gene or you don't.

Same with ability to smell certain odors, like "asparagus urine", for example.

"
Everyone is crazy." - B.L.B. 1914

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain

"I am a Republican because I believe in the constitution, strength in national defense, limited government, individual freedom, and personal responsibility as the concrete foundation for American government." - Martha Raye
Bowie Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
gui_tarzan
Herf God

I have not had that test but I can definitely tell when I've eaten asparagus and it's also a very offensive odor to me. My sense of smell has always been very sharp along with my sense of color and audio tone.

Carmine, you mentioned a salty-sweetness. There is a distinctive overly-sweet smell to scallops to me. Again, I have no concerns about the scallops I bought being fresh, my nose is very, very sensitive.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Some inforkmation. A scallop, as you see it, is only a small part of the animal, it is only the muscle that opens the shell. The rest of the beast is discarded. Call it the white meat.

There's some taste similarities to lobster, but in reality, they aren't even in the same genera. Totally different critters.

IMO, you just don't like scallops, and something about the smell turns your stomach. Nothing unusual there, some people react like that to various things, with or without a discernible reason. So being able to eat clams and oysters but not being able to tolerate "white meat" scallops is sort of like loving steak but being repelled by the smell of ham. Nothing unusual here, as far as I can see.

btw, my wife loves crab. Lobster? Uh uhh. Kinda turns her stomach.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:14 AM   #9
Bowie Fan
Club Member

How about mussels? Now, imo, that is one foul tasting and smelling shellfish! Sometimes people add them to spaghetti sauce; taints the whole batch.

"
Everyone is crazy." - B.L.B. 1914

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain

"I am a Republican because I believe in the constitution, strength in national defense, limited government, individual freedom, and personal responsibility as the concrete foundation for American government." - Martha Raye
Bowie Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:39 AM   #10
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

scallops are often treated with a solution (phosphates if I recall correctly) to keep them 'plump'.

http://fshn.ifas.ufl.edu/seafood/sst...f/18th_418.pdf

that might make one sick, but I have not researched to see if the symptoms you describe are associated with that solution

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote