Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Cuba Aliados Capa Clara Toro

My good friend Frank Santos at Reyes Family Cigars sent me a few prototype cigars, test smokes for new blends that RFC is working on. Very interesting appearance to a couple of them, which I'll review when I get a chance to smoke to them.

One of the ordinary-looking ones was a toro with a Connecticut wrapper, and Frank asked me to try that one first. After I sent him my impressions, I asked what it was, what it will be called, and when it will be released. The reasons I asked him that should become obvious. The appearance may have been ordinary, the cigar was anything but.

---

One word review: Winner!

Vitola: Toro, 6" x 52(?), parejo.

Pre-light: No detectable construction flaws. Smooth, lightly-veined, fragrant Connecticut claro wrapper. Bunch was uniform and firm, yet the draw was perfect. Pre-light flavors redolent of fine tobacco, suggestive of a bit of Nicaraguan ligero in the filler. Very nice.

During the smoke: I don’t usually smoke a lot of Connecticut-wrapped cigars because they’re generally too mild for my tastes. This one was very different. I would characterize it as on the mild side of medium-bodied, but oh my, the flavors! Layers of complexity that moved between different levels as I smoked it. I can't claim to have picked out a lot of specific flavors, just that they changed and I enjoyed them from start to finish.

From first draws to nub, excellent. Even burn, no touch-ups required. Slow, gentle smoking was rewarded with dense clouds of flavorful smoke. Just...wow!

Comments: I've made no secret of the fact that I hate the trend towards fat ligero bombs. This cigar really hit a sweet spot with me...an extremely flavorful smoke, subtle, full of finesse. A cigar that doesn't need to overwhelm your senses with brute force, but brings you enormous joy in the smoking through abundant flavor and interest. I could enjoy this one on any occasion, from morning smoke with coffee to after a big steak dinner with a snifter of cognac.

Highly recommended!

---

Frank tells me that this is the same blend used in the Puros Indios 2012 series, but with a Connecticut wrapper. The difference made by that wrapper is astounding. I quite like the PI 2012, but this one blew me away.

When released, the line will be called Cuba Aliados Capa Clara, and that it will be offered in five sizes: Robusto, Toro, Torpedo, Churchill, and Gordo (6x60). I wish there were a corona and/or a lancero in the line, but you can't have everything. Personally, I won't be grabbing up any of the Gordos , but I will want to add some of the others to my stash.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
mcmoyer
Club Member

Sounds nice! Was the release date mentioned?

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
“Don’t talk to me about naval tradition. It’s nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.” - Sir Winston Churchill

GFDS
mcmoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Frank says the cigars are ready, but they're waiting on packaging. Should hit the market in "a couple of months."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.

Last edited by Mad Dawg; 08-14-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Bobbystbob
Club Member

Nice! thanks for the review. I'll look for them at my favorite cigars shop in all the US, Lone Star Tobacco, in Houston, when I'm there in Oct-Nov.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Sounds like a winner! Hope it's posted up here where to get em when they hit the retainers. I sure have been smoking and enjoying alot of nc's lately. Good thing I started reading this section of the board for suggestions of what others like and think taste good
mike s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Good post, Douger. It's now an article in First Look.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
H311oLHD
Herf Meister

Doug,

Great review!!! Thanks! If you liked this one, then it's a must-try for me!

Can't wait!
Rest In Peace Cubano.
Charter Member, MCLC
“Making others green with envy”™
H311oLHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Nice. Sounds very much like my kind of cigar!
Anyone tweet this review link yet?
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

Great review Doug. And +1 in hoping that when they are released something gets posted here.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Nice. Sounds very much like my kind of cigar!
Anyone tweet this review link yet?
Negative. I forgot the CW Twitter password

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote