Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 06-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
gui_tarzan
Herf God

Finally found a good red wine

Most of them are way too dry for me. I don't like dry. We had a cookout last Saturday and my wife's cousin had some called "First Tibor" 2007, Hajos-Baja, Blaufrankisch. She said it's only available to the US online. OMG what a great tasting wine! It was on the verge of being sweet but not sugary sweet, more like a good maduro cigar sweet. I can't find it online but she said she would get me a bottle when she orders more.

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:07 AM   #2
beevod
Herf God

You might enjoy an Australian shiraz...plummy, velvety and quite swallowable no matter what the occasion. (and do not pay more than $10.00)
Old 06-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by beevod View Post
You might enjoy an Australian shiraz...
Good advice here.

As well, many of the less expensive Barossa Valley Cabernets and Shirazes (also from Australia) tend toward more open and forward, ripe, fruit-driven flavours.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
PLUSH
Club Member

I think you are looking for this

http://www.vinolist.com/wine/2007-Mo...ed-965500.html

they come from these types of parties

http://winesforhumanity.com/

Last edited by PLUSH; 06-02-2010 at 10:33 AM.
PLUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
gui_tarzan
Herf God

Yes! That's the one. Oh my gosh is it good... I'm salivating just sitting here thinking about it.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
gui_tarzan
Herf God

Next question, can anyone suggest a red that tastes like this one? I can't find it anywhere online, even with the charity program Plush linked.

I'll do my best to describe it:

Not dry at all
No bitterness
Slightly sweet & fruity flavor - not sugary, more like a maduro-sweet
More grape flavor than typical but not Concord-ish
Possibly a touch of apple or pear
Very smooth
Very deep red in color
Very light on the taste buds
It's got 10.5% alcohol but you can't taste much of the alcohol in this one
Fruity, not floral aroma

[edit] Here's what a website says about the 2006 version:

Quote:
2006 Reichsgraf Von Ingelheim, Furst Tibor, Muskat-Ottonel, Nagyrede, Hunagry- Fine aromas of fruit and floral scents entice the nose. The intensive scent of roses combined with a hint of apricot and delicate aromas of lavender are also present. The taste of this Muscat-Ottonel is elegant and appealing. The precious sweetness supports its fruity and harmonious character. Classically, you can enjoy this wine with blue chesse. Roquefort, gorgonzola or bleu d'Auvergne all delight in its company. The bitter-sweet under-lying flavor of the cheese harmonizes perfectly with the aromas and sweetness of the wine.
No wonder I liked it with the cheese I had. I wasn't too far off, pears/apricots...

Last edited by gui_tarzan; 06-06-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
gui_tarzan
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznut View Post
Good advice here.

As well, many of the less expensive Barossa Valley Cabernets and Shirazes (also from Australia) tend toward more open and forward, ripe, fruit-driven flavours.
I will give that a try but price isn't as important as taste.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
JET
Club Member

I like the Italian reds, especially from the Barbera region. Restaurant that we frequent gets me a case for the cooler every month or so. Was in Chicago over the past weekend for a funeral and ate at Ditka's in Oak Brook. He has his own brand of wine now also. Tried the pinot noir and it was very good. $55 a bottle.......

JET
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I like the Italian reds, especially from the Barbera region.
The traditional area for making wine from the Barbera grape is the Piedmont region of north-central Italy. Here though, the Nebbiolo grape reigns, producing two notable wines of distinction - Barbaresco and Barolo. Both of these wines are normally quite tannic, requiring bottle maturation to show at their best. They have often been described as exhibiting 'tar and roses' characteristics on the nose/palate. A good Barbaresco or Barolo is hard to beat, but the expense is, unfortunately, a definite consideration. The more reputable examples can put a serious dent in your wallet!

So what do the Piedmontese drink on more 'casual' occasions? Mostly Dolcetto and Barbara. Traditionally, these wines lessen the tannic quotient (compared to Barbaresco and Barolo), with the balancing of the ripe fruit being accomplished by a heightened acidity. Imagine something along the lines of a Beaujolais and you won't be too far off the mark.

Barbera typically shows a quite overt grapey quality, and can be successfully paired with most pasta or lighter meat dishes. For the Piedmontese, Barbera is THE quaffing wine par excellence. It is normally made to be drunk when young and fresh.

There are, however, a few exceptions. Some of the more renowned producers of Barbaresco and Barolo also produce heavily extracted Barberas with plenty of dense fruit and oomph. Usually, such wines cost substantially more than their counterparts. The 'up side' is that they can stand up to longer bottle maturation (often necessary, in fact!) and much richer dishes with little difficulty.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #10
Herf
Club Member

Jim might like some of the Lambruscos and some of the Portuguese roses based on how he described the wine. We went through a hell of a lot of them in college and most of those girls weren't real wine drinkers.
Herf is offline   Reply With Quote