Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:28 PM   #1
Danforz
Club Member

Fungis in initializing water

Hey guys, another humidor story. While initializing my humidor I put two rubbermade containers with distilled water on two separate levels in the humi. I checked the water after a couple days, everything was fine. Today, over a week later, I decided the humidor was finally initialized and began removing the containers. One of them, to my dismay, had white strands and dark dots floating around in it. I rubbed down the area directly above the infected water, and some dark gunk came off and onto my towel. I gently rubbed other areas and did not find any dark gunk.

I'm looking for a professional opinion, is the humidor a loss or is there something I can do?
Danforz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:52 PM   #2
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

My apologies, but I'm unable to offer a "professional" opinion.

Nevertheless, it sounds to me as though the containers, and not the water, could be at fault here.
And I'm not 100% certain that you're dealing with a fungal growth, either.
Is is at all possible that the "dark gunk" you refer to is simply an amalgam of oils and impurities (soap residues as well, perhaps) latent on the surface of the container(s) that has been drawn off slowly into the water?

Plus, there are always going to be some microscopic particles in the air within the humidor that may precipitate onto the surface of the water and coagulate there.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
Danforz
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznut
My apologies, but I'm unable to offer a "professional" opinion.

Nevertheless, it sounds to me as though the containers, and not the water, could be at fault here.
And I'm not 100% certain that you're dealing with a fungal growth, either.
Is is at all possible that the "dark gunk" you refer to is simply an amalgam of oils and impurities (soap residues as well, perhaps) latent on the surface of the container(s) that has been drawn off slowly into the water?

Plus, there are always going to be some microscopic particles in the air within the humidor that may precipitate onto the surface of the water and coagulate there.

Thanks Jazz... and I was being a bit sarcastic about the pro comment... anyways with everything you said taken into consideration, what is your thoughts on the dark stuff that rubbed off the panel just above the water?
Danforz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:42 AM   #4
casual
Club Member

I'd agree, it was probably your containers. Bleach, vinegar, and/or extra hot soapy water them clean and rinse next time around.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
CHESS NUT
Club Member

another suggestion is stick them in they diswasher if you have a sanitize setting. should get those containers really clean with little hassle
Old 01-13-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
guinsdan
Starting Member

Add a little rubbing alcohol to your distilled water. Just a little, say 1 alcohol to 10+ parts water.
guinsdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #7
Kilobyte
Herf Meister

Better yet for a perfectly sanitizing solution that will not influence any aroma, or off-taste to your cigars is to mix a 30% amount of Hydrogen Peroxide in your distilled water.

Kilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote