Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 01-15-2018, 07:05 PM   #11
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

I've got to say, I wish to God that I didn't have a crock pot. Wife cooks meat into paste.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:53 AM   #12
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I'm not fond of crock pots, but they do have their uses. When we were both working full time, it was nice to come home and not have to cook anything beyond rice.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:58 AM   #13
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

They have their place, not in the hands of my wife. She will put a chicken in with water, and when it's 'ready' I have to strain it out, bones, meat, skin, with a runcible spoon. Of course, she packs it with vegetables, so a lot of the time the stock is pretty much unusable.

If she didn't fill it with water and then add whatever she was fixing, that would help. She in essence boils the meat for hours.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:27 AM   #14
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

That's OK if you're trying to use up potential waste. I buy 10 pound bags of leg quarters. Cutting them up, I cut out the backbones and save them for stock and soups. If I'm making soup intentionally, I'll simmer the whole quarters in the stock pot. If I'm using a whole bird, I cut it up mostly and fricassee it. A simple roast chicken with lemon, garlic and rosemary is a great simple weeknight meal ready in less than an hour. Much better than those poor, overcooked birds from the rotisserie at the grosto.

Picking poultry carcasses is about my least favorite kitchen chore. But it saves money. I save my brisket trimmings and cut the meat off of the cartilace and back bone when making St. Louis spares and those become sausage about 4 times a year (which reminds me, I have about 20 pounds of hot, garlicky Italian ready for the stuffer later today or tomorrow. It's been in the downstairs fridge curing).

My kitchen isn't the fountainhead of culinary creativity it once was, but I am very frugal when it comes to waste. That can be a challenge all its own.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #15
mshade
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Looking forward to seeing how that turns out.
The cheesecake turned out great in the Instant Pot. I used a New York style recipe - heavy, dense no topping cheesecake with a graham cracker crust that the taste testers loved.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #16
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

I'll admit, I am a bit surprised. Cheesecake is kind of delicate. I usually bake them in a bain marie (water bath, to temper and even temperature). Glad it worked out for you.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:39 AM   #17
jeepdad
Club Member

I came home one day to a big pot sitting on the island. My Bride purchased an insta pot on Amazon although it's not the insta pot brand. And she got it cheap she bought a "dented box" one. When it came she said there were no dents dings or anything. Anyway, she has cooked a whole chicken, meatloaf with carrots and potatoes. Once removing the meatloaf and carrots she mashed the potatoes in the pot! Shes made mac and cheese and other stuff I can't remember. ALL of it has been damn delicious and she loves it because it;s lighting quick and taste like it's been cooking all day. Her sister got one too and make a beef stew she said was fantastic. As we say in the Marines "it's a good piece of gear".
jeepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #18
beevod
Herf God

Sounds like a true variation of Aladdin's Lamp.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #19
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

bought one in the Amazon Prime sales... funny it looks like my neighbors bought one, too.

A new tool to master...

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #20
beevod
Herf God

Just like a Neti pot?