Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2004, 10:23 PM   #1
moki
Club Member

LG Diez and Graycliff Emerald

LG Diez

To commemorate their 10th anniversary of selling cigars, La Flor Dominicana introduced a new line of cigars: the LG Diez, named after Litto Gomez, founder of LFD. This is a 100% Dominican puro that is being made in limited quantities, current offered in 4 vitolas.

Comparisons to the first Dominican puro, the Fuente Fuente Opus X are inevitable. I smoked a LG Diez Chisel Puro (5 1/2" x 54) that was kindly gifted to me by a great BOTL, and followed it immediately by an Opus X Reserva d'Chateau for comparison's sake.

The cigar looks beautiful, and has a nice aroma to it -- sparking it up, I can see how people might compare it to an Opus X... sort of. There is some slight similarity, perhaps attributable to the flavor of Dominican tobacco in general, but the cigars are quite different as well.

The Diez is an enjoyable cigar; but the flavor profile is more that of deep musty, earthy flavors, with a hint of spice -- to contrast the strong, bold jalapeño spice, and milky-sweet citrus and leathery flavors offered by the Opus. In short, the comparison might be to compare a Cuban Cohiba to a Cuban Montecristo: you can taste some underlying similarities, but they are really quite different cigars.

On its own merits, the LG Diez is a very well constructed cigar, it burned perfectly, and it was an enjoyable smoke. I was not blown away by the flavors the cigar offered, but it was definitely worth smoking, and I am very interested in how these cigars will taste with a bit of age on them.

If you love the taste of Opus X cigars, the Diez is unlikely going to be a replacement, but it might be a nice addition to your smoking line-up.

Graycliff Emerald President

TonyBones passed these cigars on to me, and wanted me to give it a shot to see if I had the same "chewed cud" experience that he did.

I can absolutely see where he was coming from on his review of this cigar. It's a well made cigar with a flawless green candela wrapper, and it's a very enjoyable smoke -- but it's just plain weird.

You have a very distinctive grassy taste in your mouth after smoking these things, very much like you're a cow chewing on grass. It wasn't unpleasant, in fact it was quite an interesting contrast as a cigar. It was just... odd.

I enjoyed the cigar, and would recommend it just for the experience or for a change of pace. Mooooooooo!

Other smokes

I also had an Opus X Reserva d'Chateau and a Añejo No.55 tonight (playing poker and watching the Presidential debate) -- I won't bother boring everyone with a review: loved 'em both.