Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 08-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #1
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

Pacific Fish

http://yournewswire.com/fukushima-never-eat-fish/

I know lots of us have access to Gulf fish, but this makes me think twice about ever ordering fish anywhere north of Austin and west of Kerrville.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #2
N8DCJ
Club Member

While nowhere near as bad as that...

Up here , some are suggesting only eating lake Erie fish out of the eastern basin and not western basin ...

While we have 2 nuclear power plants in western part (Davis Besse near Toledo and the twin towers in in Monroe Mich)

The issue seems to be heavy metals and fertilizer , but , no real
Issues yet with only a few portions a month...

Dan
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

First Mansato scewing up our crops and now this.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Jeff, recently there was a story making rounds about coolant water containing tritium would be dumped in the Pacific and that people would be dying everywhere.

tritium tainted coolant water.

I did the math. Out of a thousand gallons there would be a few molecules of tritium, if we managed to drink up that much seawater before the tritium decayed.

The math presumed that every molecule was heavy, tritium water, and I confined the numbers to a mile deep and about a fifth of the entire Pacific ocean near Japan.

The Pacific could swallow all of fukushina whole without putting significant radiation into our bellies.

Remember that we detonated I have no idea how many superbombs, out in the air, and every one of them tossed literally thousands of tons of fallout up. The burst of high energy free neutrons irradiated any matter near the bomb. Sand, steel, everything was dragged into the fireball and vaporized, then the mass condensed into a contaminated mass of ash. If we were going to be killed by radiation, it would have already happened from the hundreds of above ground tests. Did you know that the actual ground that the trinity bomb was fired over is open to the public now?

Should the Japanese be eating fish from close to shore, or go clamming? Probably not.

Don't trust any news source that reports a potential catastrophe like this to gather readers
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #5
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

I guess that the point is would be that the reactor leaks are only a drop in the bucket among the thousands of risks we take every day, all of the contamination already here, and we already have thousands of scientists trying to make a name for themselves by exposing the hazard. Did you know that asbestos is a rock, and that literally billions of tons are out there? A "scientist" found a mountain that was exposed asbestos, wend public screaming, but had to admit that he had not found a single soul that had been harmed by it.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:12 AM   #6
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Given seafood prices, aside from shellfish, we primarily eat cod, catfish, and salmon. As seldom as we can afford it, I am not worried.

I'm also guilty of medical fatigue. So many "studies" offering opposite opinions about what is good for you and bad for you, I've pretty much tuned it all now. Sensationalism sells papers, but it also generates further funding for further"studies".

That inevitably leads to the point where the scarier the findings, the further it is propagated. So many of the "studies" are correlative and the methodology isn't included. Thus, it may not adjust for other variables that could affect the results. Even so, correlation isn't causation.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:27 AM   #7
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I had mussels and wild caught gulf shrimp Sunday for dinner. Was simple and good. But shrimp were pricey. Mussels seem to be a comparative bargain - great flavor, easy to cook, and seemingly low risk.

a hint on avoiding bad stuff in fish, eat the little ones. The big ones accumulate the toxins. Hence tuna and sharks and swordfish tend to have higher concentrations of toxins than say mackerel, anchovies or sardines.

Or so I believe, but what do I know?

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #8
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

There are literally tons of mussels harvested from the Mississippi river.

You're right about apex predator fish. Toxins in feeders can be incorporated directly into the cells of the predators, in the cats, and be permanently embedded over the years of growth.

Your dinner looked great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
I had mussels and wild caught gulf shrimp Sunday for dinner. Was simple and good. But shrimp were pricey. Mussels seem to be a comparative bargain - great flavor, easy to cook, and seemingly low risk.

a hint on avoiding bad stuff in fish, eat the little ones. The big ones accumulate the toxins. Hence tuna and sharks and swordfish tend to have higher concentrations of toxins than say mackerel, anchovies or sardines.

Or so I believe, but what do I know?
Old 08-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

filter feeders unfortunately also can siphon all the toxins in and accumulate them

IL is trying to clean some streams by re introducing native mussels. Not sure I would eat them.

The river mussels are not for eating I don't think.

The dinner was good. Pretty simple but good.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:33 PM   #10
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post

IL is trying to clean some streams by re introducing native mussels. Not sure I would eat them.
It won't work.

Lead in the muck, mussels eat the muck, then die and become new muck.

A government program planted chicory in vacant lots, because "chicory draws lead from the soil"

Sure, and then the plants die and put the lead right back where it belongs. There wasn't any funding to harvest it and send it to a toxic waste landfill.