Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Black Pearl Morado Toro

Black Pearl Morado Toro

Producer: La Perla Habana Cigars
Dimensions of cigar: 6 inches by 50-ring gauge
Wrapper leaf: Cameroon
Binder and filler leaves: Nicaraguan
Reviewed: Wednesday May 14th, 2008

Finally... An afternoon nice enough to kick back on the porch with a good cigar and drink, and the free time to take advantage of the opportunity!

The base tone of the Cameroon wrapper of this Black Pearl Morado varied from cocoa to Van Dyke brown and exhibited burnt umber mottling as well as very dark veins, themselves subdued in prominence – this lent the leaf an overall smoothness that was further enhanced by fine, diffuse tooth. A well applied double-seam cap lay atop the slightly canted head, while the colour of the filler leaves ranged from sandalwood through cocoa to dark coffee.

The roll density of the Black Pearl was notable, lending the cigar firmness allied to slight superficial resilience. This feature led to excellent combustion characteristics, the solid, compact ash leaving behind a blunted conical to more flattened appendage as it fell at 1½-inch increments. The entire session lasted a little over 1 hour.

The pre-light aroma of the Toro seemed distinctly sweet and earthy, with appealingly subtle notions of raisins and nuts apparent amidst the dominant sensation of cured tobacco. Drawing on the unlit cigar elicited a somewhat exotic though demure sweetness counterbalanced by piquancy. As regards the latter trait, I was reminded of peppermint.

Upon lighting, the Morado emitted earthiness amply enveloped by toasted tobacco. Uplifted notes of cedar and spice added a certain degree of complexity. The texture of the smoke came across as smooth, well rounded, balanced and neither sweet nor dry. The taste then tailed off to a suggestion of mint tea. All in all, a most attractive overture.

As matters progressed, the underlying ripeness of the blend increased, with a hint of simple syrup seeping into the proceedings. Lovely. The Black Pearl maintained this effortless, amalgamated demeanour through to the finish.

I came away impressed by the easy-going nature of the Toro, and could see this mild to medium-strength cigar appealing to a wide spectrum of smokers. This is a cigar one needn’t think about too much, but just sit back and enjoy. Very good, I’d say.

I elected to pour C. Ferrand’s Old Reserve Plantation Rum from Guyana, distilled in 1990 and bottled in 2007, and was happy I did. The contrast between the overt cane sweetness and drier oak-derived spiciness of the rum paired perfectly with the overall tenor of the cigar.

Many thanks to Mark (Cigar Weekly’s rdking) for taking the time and trouble to send this sample my way. Mark, you are a true gentleman.