Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #1
Ringo
Club Member

San Cristobal Revelation box press

Many of you saw a review that I recently posted of an early San Cristobal cigar. Apparently it was a pre-Pepin SC cigar, and it was not very good. I panned it. Fortunately the blend was changed by Pepin so you do not have to worry about that cigar, anyway I doubt that many smokers have some around. If they do, I advise them to give to their casual smoking friends!

Today I review a San Cristobal Revelation box press. The Revelation is a nice looking cigar with colorful bands. The wrapper and cap are well applied. A pre-light draw suggested that it was on the tight side, but not too bad. Nothing that could not be fixed by kneading the end of the lit, warm cigar; which I did later and all was golden in draw land.

I did just jump ahead of myself a little there though. So - I toasted and lit the cigar and from the first draw I could already tell that this cigar was better than the one I panned. Flavors were light at this point, but there was no harshness. Always a good sign.

As I started to smoke, each draw seemed to bring out a little more flavor. This is not a strong cigar (compared to, say, a Partagas Habano) but it is full flavored (many people mix the two characteristics up, but they are two different things; a strong cigar can be weak in flavor, and a more mild one can be full of it.) But don't get me wrong, this is not a mild cigar either. I would put it about average in strength.

As I smoked the cigar it followed a classic, if predictable, path. Small but increasing amounts of flavor up until the one third mark, where it started to turn itself out. After one third the flavors started coming on stronger and stronger. Plenty of pepper and spice. By the time I was past the halfway point the cigar had reached its full potential. It was not complex; no caramel, cream etc., but the flavors that were present were pleasant. I continued to smoke as I listened to music and drank root beer. The cigar was quite tasty on the back of the palate. After about three quarters of the way through it started getting a little bit tarry (no, it was not overheated) and it was starting to rain so I let it go out. However, I can see going to the nub on this one.

As for construction, as I said earlier the draw was a -little- tight but nothing that was not easily fixed by kneading the warm cigar. The burn was about 90%; I did two minor touchups. Nothing major, no canoeing etc. I probably could have fixed them by rotating the cigar.

The San Cristobal Revelation box press is NOTHING like the old San Cristobal that I reviewed earlier. It is a MUCH better cigar. Now, I like my cigars on the complex and creamy side, so I probably would not purchase any more San Cristobals (although I still have an Elegencia torpedo.) But that does not affect my judgement; a good cigar is a good cigar. and the Revelation is a good cigar and earns a solid 88/100.

I'm out.