Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
I heard that too, but when you actually use a stone to sharpen a knife and realize how the knife is being sharpened, it doesn't seem too out of line to think that properly running one blade against another could result in it getting sharper.

I hope that makes sense.
A stone and steel are very different things. I have never, and never will, believe that running a pair of flat steel surfaces against each other can "sharpen" them both. There are various effects that could present what seems like sharpening, but in the long run, after plenty of use, you will still, inevitably, wind up with that chisel shaped blade dulled. With a straight blade, you will eventually have to refresh the edge on a stone, flatten the back side, and strop the front end to refine the cut. with a curved blade, once again, honing the inner surface of the curves, flattening the backside, and then stropping them would work. Maybe. With good steel, you could actually just load a slow moving wheel with heavy abrasive, take a run with that on the front surface, clean up the back, and then strop. You could also try a rolled zirconium cloth at about 4-600 grit to refresh the blade.

Actually, elkie is probably as close as we have here to a true authority on steel, cutting implements, and sharp stuff. He has to share that with Jason, I think, though.

The guy owns David Boye implements. That's good enough for me.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote