Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

Bolívar Corona Extra (2001)

Bolívar
Corona Extra
5 5/8 x 44 Francisco (2001)

Prelight: Soft brown, tawny-colored colorado claro wrapper, without the slightest flaw or raised vein on it. Well-constructed, blunted cap. Cut very nicely with my Xikar Xi2. Filler leaf was noticably darker than the wrapper color, promising rich, strong tobacco. Prelight draws revealed little but pleasant tobacco and some wooden flavors.

Beverage: Flor de Caña Grand Reserve seven-year-old rum

Flavor: Began with a real bang, delivering a molé-sauce combination of chocolate underscored with hot peppers. Tangy, sweet dried fruits, chocolate-dipped black cherries. Finish smacked of black coffee and lightly-scented wood. Through the whole smoke, the strength was definitely apparent as an underscore to the whole flavor profile. An inch in, the smoke was very rich and full-bodied, the finish was typical Bolívar earth with notes of coffee, nuts, and dried fruit. Palate maintained its intensity with peppers and sweet clover honey. There was also a peppery spice, but it was more subdued on the tongue than in some other strong cigars. When combined with the rum, the peppery spice intensified, as well as the coffee-like bitterness, and it juxtaposed well against the dried fruit. One-third in, the coffee was noticeably stronger, dusted with dry earth, with an undercurrent of raw tobacco and poblano pepper skins with nuances of wood. The aroma was rich with fresh-cut wood, honey, and black peppercorns. Halfway through, the smoke and rum really brought a lot of the rum-barrel character: wood, vanilla, caramel, and a light, sweet spiciness. Two-thirds down, still incredibly delicious and complex. Cherry, wood, with some black pepper dustings. The earth tones were much lighter and the rum produced a very unique woody flavor that's hard to nail down. The aroma smacked of coffee and more black peppers.

Construction: Solid medium-gray ash, perfect draw, good burn, but did require two brief touch-ups.

Summary: People have long said it before me, but the Bolívar Corona Extra, for some reason, is just a consistently pleasing cigar. I seriously don't know why it doesn't get more play from the cigar rags, because it's consistently performed better for me than most of the other Bolívar vitolas I've smoked. Lots of hard-hitting, belly-filling strength to satisfy all you nicotine fiends, but never at the expense of great flavor. Younger samples are always a pleasure to smoke, and aged Corona Extras are even better! Time does little to diminish its raw power, but plenty to refine its body and balance. A great cigar, that's all I can say.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote