Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
pauljmuk
Starting Member

CAO Criollo Pato

Hi folks - my next review. I may be something of a newbie, and that certainly is the case when it comes to non Cubans. You see, I've been smoking cubans for a long time, but recently stocked up with a big sampler, that included some NC's. This is my first smoke from outside ISOM.

As such, Im worried I'm being too harsh - but it is worth noting at this juncture that I have little experience of Non Cubans - therefore, I am judging perhaps unfairly? (comments welcomed!!!) That said - you should read this review as a "total cigar review" - in other words, this review is against all cigars, no matter their origin..... Anyway....

What a quality looking cigar - absolutely first class presentation. Came in a delightful tissue protective wrapper with burgundy CAO ribbon. More joy upon removing the tissue to find a further band, in paper, and (in my view) nice and tastefully done. Perhaps presentation shoulddn;t be an issue (perhaps it should). I personally, like a well presented product and this cigar gets A++++

Cigar was beautiful to look at. Fantastic wrapper - very smooth, medium to dark colour. Hint at a pigtail at the mouth end (** a technical term u understand...!!) Just a lovely, solid looking, well made cigar.

Lit well - I mean by that, it was easier to light and keep straight than any Cuban I have experienced. (It's worth noting here that this review may not be a "timeline".) I'd therefore say that the draw was good at the beginning and never, ever faltered. A truly well made cigar that fulfilled its objectives with flying colours.

First third of cigar was, I must say, rather dull. Maybe its my lack of tasting experience, but it just said "cigar" to me, and no more. Great draw, little taste.

Then it started to get more interesting. I hear this cigar is classed as mild. First third bears that out. Then it started to work for me. (But, I must say, not consistently.) Throughout the cigar - occasional flashes of brillance - some "hints" of spice, leather, and dare I say it, "cowhshit" - all very good when they came on, but nothing carried, nothing developed. Quick flashes, like a young whisky - (Can I say at this point - this cigar was enjoyed with a large measure of Old Pulteney Malt Scotch- one of the most northerly, and, in my view, best balanced Malts there is)

All things considered - a quality smoke, but leaving something missing... Dont get me wrong - I truly, truly enjoyed this - but as a UK reviewer, where this was a good 30% more in price than a good Bolivar, Diplomaticos or Hoya per stick, I felt a little short changed.

I appreciate you guys have more trouble getting hold of Cubans, but I'd say - pay the price.

All in all - if I were scoring the cigar as a Non Cuban, it would get a 4, possibly even a 5. (and i mean that)

As it is, with a room full of Cubans and plenty of others, I have to be fair across the board. On the full range, it has to be a 3, albeit a high 3.

Quality smoke - will not disappoint - just dont exepct an earth shattering experience...

Too harsh a reveiw? Comments and debate - bring it on!

Pauljmuk