Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2005, 08:52 PM   #1
MalkavianX

Romeo y Julieta Anniersario

Went out on the porch to smoke a gar with my roommate (his girlfriend got him an awesome 9 pack for their 1yr anniversary and he wanted to try one out) and the only thing i had in the humi to match was an RyJ anni that had been aging for at least a few months since I got it in a trade (and an unkonwn time before that)

Anyway, on with the review!

Appearance: Flawless. Smooth wrapper showed no imperfections. Cap applied very well, overall medium brown. I believe the one I had was a toro.

Cigar cut like a champ, but I had to deal with some minor unravelling due to being kept on the dry side I believe, rather than any fault of the cigar.

Pre light draw was flavorful, hint of spice. Draw was just a hair loose compared to how I generally prefer it, but this worked out in the end.

Lit a bit lopsidedly thanks to my crap matches but corrected quickly. Burned evenly thereafter and held a good inch or inch and a half of ash at a time.

First puff brought some intense spice, not much else. I was worried that the gar was in fact too dry and would burn hot and harsh. However it calmed down and brought what I can only describe as pepper and cedar for the first third or quarter of the smoke. Moving further in leather and tobacco notes began to show through and the spice diminshed. The end of the smoke saw the taste intensify and I began to notice I was feeling the effects of the vitamin N, which had quite snuck up on me. I let it go just a finger length or two ahead of the band, not wanting to end such a good smoke on a harsh note. Even with that consideration I'm just a touch dizzy after smoking on a mostly empty stomach.

Throughout the experience the smoke production was what I like to call perfect--a gentle puff would produce a cloud of thick creamy stuff that would hang in front of my head till the breeze caught it. Despite the loose draw I had no problems getting a mouthful of smoke each and every time.

Overall..definitely a reccomended smoke. I've never had one of these fresh from the box so I'm not able to give any insight as to how they improve with age. However it was a much more bold experience than what I'm accustomed to with RyJ cigars.
MalkavianX is offline   Reply With Quote