Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
jb
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

La Riqueza #4

Ok, hadn't planned on smoking this particular cigar tonight. Saw it setting out and realized I had left it out Saturday so thought I'd see what a few days of unintentional dryboxing had done to it.

The #4 is a true robusto size measuring 5" by 48 ring. It really is the largest ring guage parejo I routinely enjoy. This cigar had the rough, veiny wrapper I've noticed on several La Riqueza. Color was a lighter maduro, definitely a maduro but not that dark. It had good weight to it and felt hard as a brick. The band was a little loose, obviously from sitting out a few days.

It was cleanly cut with my SAK and the prelight draw was spot on. Pete says these are "medium bodied". I don't know about that. First puffs produced an immediate powerful straight tobacco taste with a slight cocoa finish. The burn was even and it produced clouds of light gray smoke. The first third mellowed a little after the first puff to reveal a little more subtle nuances. A slightly sweet, nutty hint was present yet the raw power continued. I likened it to a young RASS or RyJ Cazadore. Not to stray off topic, but over the last ten years we went from "Cuban Shmooban" to every cigar being described as "cuban-like". I don't really get many similarities between Nicaraguans and Cubans. I don't want to. When I want a Tatuaje or Oliva V that's what I want. If I wanted a habano, I would smoke one! Anyway, this cigar is the first Nicaraguan in a looooong time that really smoked and tasted like a Cuban. At this point I was saying "wow need moar".

The middle third continued with Cubanesque flavors. I detected hints of a PSD4 flavor; strong, a little earthy with a nutty finish. You gotta realize I am not usually real big on picking up things like that in a cigar. I guess that's why I use the PSD4 reference. At the halfway point, still lots of strength yet no bitterness. The aftertaste reminded me of a nice cup of Bolivian Organic from a few years ago.

The last third really mellowed. A nice, toasted tobacco flavor was the main player with a little twangy undertone. At this point, I slid the band easily off the cigar to keep this treat going as long as I could. The tangy, toasted tobacco continued until I let it go with only half an inch left.

Usually I am more of a hater than a praiser in cigars I choose to review. This is an exception. This was a beautiful smoking experience. Some outside factors may have helped this along. It was a lovely night for smoking. I sat outside in comfortable 70 degree weather with a slight cool breeze. The inadvertent dryboxing probably helped too. No matter, this was an outstanding cigar that I look forward to trying again.

91/100.
ISO Opus DCs, RdC, Perf X, #2, and Super Beli. PM if you can help! TIA.
jb is offline   Reply With Quote