Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
roadhawg
Contributing Editor

Decision Time

Need an independent 3rd party opinion as my mind (or what's left of it) is stuck in a fog; or at least tell me where I may be off base or just missing something. I have read the stickies and a ton of the posts in this section and here is where I am right now as I have tried to sort this in a logical order:

1. Out of room in my 4 desktop humis, so need more space and am concerned about the temps this coming summer.
2. Don't want to shell out the major $$ for a high dollar cabinet
3. Considered an Igloodor, but living in Houston, temp is a major concern. Even in the winter (like today), the coolest part of my house is at 74 degrees. In the summer, with the AC cranked, it is difficult to keep my smokes under about 72 degrees.
4. Next thought was a wine chiller solution. From this forum, looked online and in stores and looks like the Avanti 28 or the Haier 30 would work, but having different features.
5. Like the thermoelectric properties of the Avanti, but dislike the analog temp setting.
6. Like the slightly larger capacity of the Haier and it's digital gauges, but am wondering if the 60 degree max is too cool for the sticks and if there really is a humidity issue with the compressor cycling.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel on this topic, and maybe this is just simply a "Quit being anal, make a choice and go smoke a cigar" answer, but I would appreciate any feedback, especially from any BOTLs who have experience with either of these 2 units. If the answer is just "personal preference", sorry for wasting everyone's time. I've been noodling on this for a few weeks and want to pull the trigger on one or the other very soon. Beads from Heartfelt are already on order, as are cedar trays from Bargain Humi, so time is of the essence. Thanks in advance and have a great week-end -- RH