Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
ElkTwin

Cohiba Corona Especiale - September 98

Cohiba Corona Especiale
6.5x42
Filler – Cuba, Binder – Cuba, Wrapper – Cuba

This slim, mature cigar bore a dusty teak-colored wrapper airbrushed with tiny diamonds of plume and wore a delicate, lacy web of minute veins that were feint enough to give the illusion of being painted on. The band slipped effortlessly over the head of this cigar, which had obviously diminished in girth with the passage of time. Masterful construction was evident in the firm, even roll and the perfectly executed cap; the signature pigtail cocked at a jaunty angle after being freed from its elegant pressboard capsule. The pre-light scents of mild cedar and aged tobacco wafted up as I turned the cylinder in my fingers, silken wrapper smooth to the touch. Once the cap fell to the sharp blade of the cutter, the draw was revealed to be perfectly resistant and, before the flicker of flame was brought near, the elegant flavors of exotic spice and a mild tickle on the lips presaged the melodious blend.

The waver of the match, cupped against the morning breeze, sought the end of the cigar and with gentle ease a full, even light was summoned. Comfortable, relaxing and inviting, the flavor trickled forth, a subdued mélange of dried citrus peel, oriental tea leaves – dark and tannic - and a hint of honeyed wild oat. The subtle finish left pleasant remembrance of the cedar aging and a clean cool feel of tobacco tingling in the mouth, tapering slowly with the passage of time. A meticulously even burn marched steadily up the length of the stick, each draw leaving a dark circle around the ash like the rings within a tree, collectively chronicling the story of an epic smoking episode. Halfway into the luxurious experience the flavor deepened and strengthened, enhanced with harmonious nuances of dark bakers chocolate and sage. The high teasing notes of wildflowers and pleasant vitality of cardamom flitted in to expand the sophisticated flavor.

Enjoyed on a warm sunny day, the gentle bay breeze and calming melodies of smooth jazz flowed along with the low splashing of a fountain and offered a delightful background for the experience. Sweet, alluring and pervasive, the aroma of the burning cigar reached out, its tendrils spreading around the deck area and seemingly chasing away negative energy. In the final few inches, the rich, medium strength of the blend quickened my pulse as the warm embrace of heady spices began to fill in the core. As the cigar dwindled in size each new draw was an electrifying bolt of kaleidoscopic savoriness. The zest of the cigar was a perfect complement to my mid-morning meal, spicy fresh tomato bisque and a plate of balsamic sautéed onions and mozzarella cheese with toast points. I smoked this cigar to the very nub and the final puffs left a warm, gratifying finish that cemented the utter brilliance of the blend.

A magnificent smoking experience that is not often duplicated, the narrow gauge and masterful execution created a cigar that aged perfectly and came dangerously close to perfection. Highly recommended.

Appearance: 9/10
Construction: 10/10
Flavor: 19/20
Finish: 10/10
Smoking experience: 20/20
Aroma: 10/10
Overall impression: 20/20

Total: 98/100