Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
ronin
The Duke
Herf God

1996 H Upmann Mag 46

I met my best friend at a local espresso shop. It was a perfect evening to sit outside with an Americano and to smoke this beautiful cigar

A beautiful dark brown looking CG. An oily cigar with a smooth cap and a firm bunch. This was just a beautiful looking cigar. Upon clipping it, it had a firm draw but still no issues with the draw.

I lit it with a torch lighter. A nice even light. The burn was very even and and never for the next 90 minutes did it ever need a touch up nor did it even have to be relit. It produced a beautiful volume of smoke.

The aroma of the cigar was very fragrant. More so than I have ever seen in an Mag 46 from current production. No burn in the throat.

Normally an H Upmann exhibits a straight forward tobacco taste. Due to the age of this cigar, I noticed a more pronounced almost earthy with a touch of sweetness. The body of the cigar was generious, with a perfect balance. The strength of the cigar was full but not overpowering. No sharpness nor saltiness.

As I continued to smoke it, the earthy taste gave way to a rich, sweet tobacco taste. Not sweet to the point of overpowering the tobacco taste but more to the point of actually enriching the tobacco.This rich full tobacco taste I have never seen in a Mag 46 before.

The aroma grew richer as I smoked it. I can honestly say that I smoke this cigar to the point of burning my fingers and yet never once did it go out nor become bitter. This was truly an outstanding cigar that I hated to see end.

My thanks to Benecio for sharing this cigar with me.