Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2003, 06:10 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona

(7.63 inches by 49 ring gauge, from Cuba)
One approaches such an established classic with a certain amount of trepidation. Yet in first encountering Hoyo's Prominente, I was quickly put at ease by its demeanour. The cigar, ever so slightly box-pressed and clad in a satiny, dark cocoa Colorado capa, felt as balanced and light in my fingers as a fine crystal wine goblet. It greeted the flame with nary a hesitation and proceeded to dispense multifarious spices which danced delicately upon my palate. As I sensed myself sinking into a down-filled, Corinthian leather couch surrounded by the scent of applewood embers, flavours of Belgian chocolate and caramel softly came forth to cloak the underlying toastiness. I began to wonder how they do get the caramilk inside of a Caramilk bar. The tone gradually deepened, but the overall effect was so gently if persistently conveyed that I was left in a state of amazement. As we say in La Belle Province, "tout en rondeur". A truly beautiful smoking moment in time. Gordon & MacPhail's lush 15 Year Old Linkwood and Grant's Baklava pastry-like Balvenie 21 Year Old Port Wood paired perfectly.

I would be remiss if I granted this wonderfully debonair double corona anything less than my top rating, an absolute