Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona

Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona

Country of fabrication: Cuba
Date of issue: Pre 2000

Date of review: Saturday August 22, 2009
Setting: A warm and sunny afternoon on the back porch

Accompanying beverages: Islay Mist 17 Year Old and a glass of cool water. The blended Scotch proved an ideal match.

Appearance of outer leaf: Richly toned Colorado with diffuse, subtle oscuro markings as well as a few crystallized oil deposits. Very fine tooth.

Ash: Bone grey-white to charcoal.
Combustion: Apart from a burn edge that tended to scallop unevenly, no problems were encountered.

Total time of session: Approximately 1½ hours.

Opening portion: Dry cocoa. Cinnamon. Cedar. Mild tobacco with a distinctively sweet, clay-like, earthy quality. Faint musk, which the Scotch whisky tended to accentuate.

Early stages: Chocolate mint wafers. Roasted sesame seeds. The cocoa beginning to shed its granularity in favour of a more toffee-imbued creaminess. Some soft baking spices flitting about the perimeter of the palate.

The heart of the smoke: Flavours tightly intertwined, the boundaries between core tobacco, cocoa and cedar blurring in a more cohesively conveyed thrust. Leaning decidedly to the milder end of the intensity spectrum. Very smooth.

Latter stages: Cocoa butter. Honey-laced carrot cake. Aniseed. The cedar component taking on a slightly briny tone akin to Alaea sea salt. Delicate and quite sublime.

Closing moments: Gaining marginally in strength. A taste of fruit skins emerging, evidencing the still present underlying tannins. Hints of Yemen coffee percolating through into the cocoa element. Balanced and satiating despite the overall mildness.

Assessment: Four years have passed since I last lit up one of these. At that time, I thought I had caught the Hoyo at its peak. Now, I’m not so sure.

Summary: A hard one to put to rest.

Have a fine weekend, everyone.