Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Old 05-11-2002, 09:01 AM   #1
jojoscigars
Club Member

but i would not know where to start .there are so many nice looking pipes out there and many nice smelling tabacco .

Life is like a cigar, It starts out fine,Gets a little crazy in the middle and ends with a mystrey.
Old 05-11-2002, 11:30 AM   #2
JGIORD
Club Member

JoJo,

Here is my advice, for what its worth.

I wouldn't waste your money on an expensive pipe until you know you really enjoy pipe smoking (it is much different than a cigar). I recommend finding either a Corncobb (about $5-$10) or even a Dr. Grabow for around $20. Definitely don't spend more than $50. Other good pipes that are relatively inexpensive are some Savinelli, Comoy and Stanwell.

I own a Dr. Grabow and it actually smoke pretty good, even if it looks cheap. Some pipes come with filters and others don't this is a personal thing, but I would recommend getting one that accepts a filter (you can always pull it out and insert a blank sleeve). A filter helps to cool the smoke and absorb moisture, which can be a problem. Many new smokers tend to overpuff their pipes in the begining and overheat them resulting in tongue bite. You don't draw on a pipe like you do a cigar, you take subtle little puffs.

As for tobacco, I would recommend getting some samples at your local tobacconist. Try a couple of aromatics (they usually sell them in 2oz bags for a couple of bucks). Then try an English blend. This will have latakia, virginia and possibly some oriental tobaccos and are much different. I find the aroma of aromatic tobacco is what everyone loves about a pipe, but English blends are a more fulfilling smoke for me.

Let the tobacconist show you how to properly fill and pack your pipe, this is the most crucial step and if done wrong will not provide you with a good smoking experience. A good tobacconist will gladly show you the proper way, but remember it will take time to get it down right.

You will also need a tamper to tamp the ashes and settle the burn evenly over the bowl and some pipe cleaners for when you are finished smoking.

Also remember a pipe needs to cool and dry off before being smoked again. This is why pipe smokers have more than one pipe. They should at least sit overnight before being smoked again to fully dry out. Never repack and smoke a warm pipe.

A good Enlgish blend that I recently discovered is Dunhill Standard Mixture Mild. It has a nice combination of Virginias with just enough Latakia for you to taste it, but its not heavy or overbearing. The aroma is nice too.

Other possible choices:
McClellands Frog Morton
Esoterica Tobaccos (heavy latakia blends)
Peterson Irish Oak
CAO Midnight Ride (is very different with Orientals and latakia).

Good luck and remember patience is key!
Old 05-11-2002, 04:54 PM   #3
mars

I agree with JGIORD. Cobs are good starters.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 08:32 PM   #4
jojoscigars
Club Member

i am great full for the reply i am going to start looking for a pipe .will let you know how it works out thank you jojo

Life is like a cigar, It starts out fine,Gets a little crazy in the middle and ends with a mystrey.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:16 PM   #5
Park Bear
Herf Meister

I have also seen a lot of Savinelli seconds, I own 2 and they are good smokers

PB

Who Tagged Big O's Weiner????

Snob Extraordinaire

Park Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 11:12 PM   #6
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Joe, thanks for the info. I've been giving it some thought as well.

Who tagged BigO's wiener?

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 09:17 AM   #7
mannish
Herf God

Peterson makes sone decent inexspensive pipes. Actually somne of the Petersons were my favorite over many of the more costly ones I had. I sold them all and quit the pipe.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:04 PM   #8
bigjp

Peterson's are great pipes IMO. I have 5 of them and use them regularly.

JGIORD gave good advice. A good local guy is invaluable in pipe smoking...wish I had one. Try some aromatics, but I've found that most cigar/pipe smokers tend to steer clear of them, or just smoke them occasionally. English blends and straight Virginia blends are the most popular among cigar converts. Dunhill tobaccos are a good start as they are not too expensive and very good. Also, they've been around so long and are a benchmark for many smokers. Just offering a few ideas here...

Take a look at www.pipe.org for some FAQ's. They help a lot.

Packing the bowl is the crucial part (as stated by JGIORD), so try not to give up until you learn to do that...it makes a world of difference in your smoking experience.
bigjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 12:55 PM   #9
JGIORD
Club Member

www.pipe.org is a great site. Here are some others that you can use to find some reviews on tobacco. I for one have to admit that my pipe tobacco pallete is no where near as refined as my cigar pallete.

http://tobaccoreviews.smokingpipes.com
www.priss.org/pipes.shtml
Old 05-17-2002, 02:08 PM   #10
mannish
Herf God

I smoked a pipe for a couple of years and it involves more work/time than anything else you will smoke. A nasty pipe is nasty and it won't take but couple of cases of 'tongue bite' to get you to pay more attention to all the details such as packing & puffing. My wife hated the pipe she tolerates the cigars much more. I was never a big fan of latakia