Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
Poohdvm
Club Member

Been Playing my old records!

I finally got my turntable hooked up and started playing some of my records, some I bought years ago but have never listened to them. Its been great to get into my collection.

Here are some of the albums I have recently found and enjoyed:

Little Feat; Time Loves a Hero. This is a fun album. I have never been a big Little Feat fan but this album makes me glad that I have a few more of their releases to check out.

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band; Will The Circle Be Unbroken: Triple Album with guest appearance of some old bluegrass and country artists like, Roy Acuff, Mother Mabelle Carter, Doc Watson and Earl Scruggs just to name a few. This is a really neat release. Its cool that some of the songs have the banter of the musicians talking about the history or how to approach the song.

Willie Nelson: Shotgun Willie; I'm not a country music fan but I have come around to Willie in the past few years. I really like his "Milk Cow Blues" CD Release. Lots of good stuff on this album. My favorite is his cover of Leon Russels " A Song For You".

More to come as I advance through my collection.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:55 AM   #2
Poohdvm
Club Member

I finally got to listen to some New Release vinyl that I have had for a while.

Clutch is one of my favorite bands and I have most of their stuff on CD. I alo have their "Blast Tyrant" release on vinyl. I am hearing things that I have never heard on the CD release. On the Song "The Regulator" It begins with an acoustic guitar intro. I can hear the player readjusting the guitar or himself to play. I have more new release vinyl to get into. (Buddy Guy and R.L Burnside).

I also played some Frank Zappa this past weekend. It has been 25yrs since I have listened to Zappa and my understanding of his music hasn't improved.
Listened to "Mothers of Invention". Intricate music but I just can't make myself like it.
Also listened to "Bongo Fury" Live with Captian Beafheart. This one I liked a little more.
I will keep trying to get into Frank Zappa. I Respect him and his music It's just hard for me to understand it.

Flock of Seagulls, lol I don't know WHY!
Cherry Bombz "Hot Girls In Love".. Mid 1980's hair band. The album only had 2 songs on each side,lol.
Vinnie Moore "Time Odyssy". There is some great Guitar shredding on this release.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
Poohdvm
Club Member

More new records this week. Now I've been on a blues kick.

R. L. Burnside "Too Bad Jim" and " Mr. Wizard". Both on Limited ed. 180 gram vinyl. These are some thick records. Some great old hill country blues on these releases. I am glad Fat Possum Records brought R.L. back to recording. I have several of his other releases on cd. Especially like "Ass pocket full of Whiskey" cd where he collaborates with the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.

Buddy Guy " Skin Deep". One of a few old bluesmen we have left and he still got it. Nice set of blues songs. Double album released in 2008
Old 03-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
Poohdvm
Club Member

Had a few more cigar and music sessions this weekend. Here are a few of the albums I listened to.

Queensryche: "Operation Mindcrime" and "Promised Land". Operation Mindcrime is a classic from these guys and still holds up today. Great Metal/Hard rock album.

Elvin Bishop: "Hometown boy makes good". Sort of blues/country with some funk beats mixed in. Fun album.

Simply Red: "Picture Book". Other than the hit "Holding back the years" the album didn't keep my attention.

The Kinks "Preservation Act 2" A concept album. Kind of weird album. Hard to listen to.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:59 AM   #5
Poohdvm
Club Member

Played an album last night of some trippy Psychedelic music by a band called "Chamaeleon Church" 1968. Looked on the back and CHEVY CHASE is on drums. LOL. There is a picture on the back of a very young Chevy Chase and the other 3 band members. Never know what you gonna find.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #6
Smokestack Jack
Herf God

I got out my old "Incense and Pepperments" album by the Strawberry Alarm Clock. That sure did bring back some memories!