Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #1
solomr2
Herf Meister

El Rey Del Mundo Rectangular Maduro (vintage)

Lately I’ve been rummaging through my humidors and finding some cigars I honestly had completely forgotten about, cigars that I don’t even remember how they came into my possession. This El Rey is a good example, I have to think I got this cigar way back around 2003-2005, so a fair estimate of aging would be at least 10 years. It’s the only one of its kind that I have, so I’m about to end the lineage. This cigar is presented very nicely all wrapped in tissue with a gold and red El Rey label on the outside. It is 5 1/2 inches in length, box pressed, and I would say about 44 or 45 ring gauge (I didn’t measure).

Pre-light, I peeled the tissue off gently to uncover a dark and slightly veiny and slightly mottled wrapper, with a roughly applied cap. I snipped the cap very carefully at about 1mm, but nonetheless about half the cap came loose. I did what I could to moisten it and keep the cap on so the cigar would not unravel. Draw was very light, almost no resistance at all, it’s too loose for my liking, but I can cope with it. I charred the foot with my torch until it developed a little coal before I drew. The first draw immediately hit me with roasted nuts and coffee. To my surprise the flavor is rich, medium bodied, with a slightly bitter finish, akin to bitter almonds before they ripen. As I smoke the first third it is evident the cigar is burning quickly due to being slightly under filled. The ash is a rough flaky grey, which is making me stick close to my ashtray as I fear it will fall off easily on my shirt. Past the first inch the flavor has smoothed out in a rich medium tobacco flavor, with hints of wood, coffee and nuts. The bitter aftertaste has subsided. It is now a very pleasing medium bodied tobacco flavor.

Approaching the second third I knocked the ash off in favor of wearing it. Smoke volume is plenty, the aroma is very rich, reminding me of meat roasting on an open fire. The flavor is diminishing slightly, but the cigar is still quite pleasing. Burn is slightly uneven, but so far not bad. I’m enjoying this cigar with some water while I do a little technical reading, and I don’t find the cigar particularly distracting, just a nice medium smoke.

Slightly past half way I needed to touch up a bit with the torch to keep it burning evenly. Flavor is consistent and solidly medium bodied. Approaching the last third and the smoke volume started to diminish until the cigar extinguished. I had to relight it and purge. The flavor of roasted nuts and coffee has intensified a bit, and the bitter almond taste is back a little on the draw, not offensive, just unusual. The flavor profile is a solid tobacco core. As I smoked through the last third, the almond bitterness has again disappeared, and the roasted nuts and hints of coffee and burning wood are adding a nice complexity to the smoke. I’m having trouble putting this one down, it is quite a nice smoke. I think I’m going to nub this little rectangular, but not before it drops an inch long ash on my shirt.

I finally put the last inch down to smolder in the ashtray. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by this cigar, I wasn’t expecting much, I always thought they were a cheap cigar boom brand. Maybe that’s why I was surprised. I haven’t seen these cigars around in ages, and I haven’t heard of anyone smoking them in quite a few years. Pity, I enjoyed this one quite a bit for a little over an hour, it made my afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by solomr2; 05-27-2016 at 02:06 PM.
solomr2 is offline   Reply With Quote