Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2009, 04:04 AM   #1
cigarreviews
Starting Member

Review: Berger & Argenti, Entubar

See Pictures Here (Great Ash)

Size: 5¼x54, Robusto

Wrapper: Ecuadorian ‘Desflorado’ Connecticut-seed

Filler: Cuban-seed Nicaraguan

Strength: Full

Price: $8.99

Score: 9.6

Today we review the newest cigar from Berger & Argenti, the Entubar. The release of this cigar was recently announced at the 77th Annual IPCPR Convention and Trade Show in New Orleans, LA. Shipment of this cigar was set to commence the middle of October to 150 tobacconists across the United States. According to a recent press release, Berger & Argenti Premium Cigars is a privately-held company headquartered in Miami, Florida with agricultural and production facilities in Esteli, Nicaragua. The press release also described the process utilized to create the Entubar:
Each deeply aged Nicaraguan filler leaf is carefully rolled into itself creating delicate ‘scrolls’ of rich, flavorful tobacco. This age-old method ensures open chambers of air flow from the foot to the head of the cigar, creating a superior draw…The ligero tobacco leaves that lend the cigar its unique full body is bunched independently from the rest of the blend before it’s re-bunched directly into the center of the remaining entubar rolled filler blend. This ligero channel ranges the full length of the cigar and extends ¼ beyond the finished trimmed foot, creating a startlingly unique fuse like appearance that virtually assures a perfect, conical burn with a long white ash.
To be honest, I was very intrigued when we received this cigar from B&A. Though I was familiar with the Entubar rolling method, I was not sure I knew the ins and outs of this time honored Cuban tradition. This process is different than the more common booking method, where the filler leaves are laid atop of one another and then rolled up.

So, with quite a lengthy introduction to a very unique cigar, let’s get to the review!

Appearance, 1.9:

Of course the first thing you notice about this smoke is the ¼ inch of filler protruding from the foot of the 54 ring gauge Robusto. It really gives the cigar a unique appearance. The wrapper is smooth to the touch and the cigar is firm with good weight. Though a band does not make a cigar, Berger & Argenti really did a great job with it. The label at the head of the smoke is double sided with a very classy sticker holding it in place. The inside of the label is an explanation of the entubar rolling method. The band at the foot adds a nice touch and the advice should be followed on this smoke. The pre-light aroma is of earthy tobacco with a hint of spice. The cigar cut cleanly and the cold draw is heavy on spice, leaning towards pepper with some sweetness.

Burn, 2.0:
After a healthy toasting per instruction, the cigar lights right up with a nice even burn ring. The draw is perfect, really one of the best I have ever had. We have posted additional pictures to show the burn progression of this smoke because of the unique rolling method. As you can see, the ash held for three plus inches and is medium gray in color. Burn temperature was excellent throughout and I smoked it to the nub. Not much to say here, as this smoke burned like a champ from foot to nub.

Flavor, 2.8:
The first puff on this smoke produced a nutty flavor and surprisingly no spice at all. As I moved into the first third, I picked up notes of cedar, some spice through the nose, and some herbal notes on the finish. The second third seemed to become fuller in flavor with earthy tobacco being the main character. This third of the cigar also had continued herbal notes with some spice and a tiny bit of caramel on the finish. As we rounded the corner and headed for home, the cigar picked up the green pepper spice a bit with the earthy tobacco flavor becoming increasingly fuller and more satisfying. The smoke was creamy throughout and this resulted in a very satisfying coating of the palate. Huge finish on the last third of the smoke, with the caramel still present on the exhale.

Overall, 2.9:
What a great smoke; the tradition of the construction really got my interest when I first started the review but at the end of the day, the draw, burn, and flavor is what really made the difference. The cigar was easy to smoke and the transitions and complexity were very satisfying. If you are lucky enough to see these, grab some or grab a box—they are well worth the price of admission and you will not be disappointed.

(Total: 9.6)
cigarreviews is offline   Reply With Quote