Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Cigar_Ben
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Ashton VSG Torpedo

Well, I have a LITTLE time on my hands now that the baby is born and to celebrate his birth, I'm smoking my favorite cigar.....the Ashton VSG. The size I selected today is the torpedo. Very good size and quite tasty. Below is the description from their website:

Ashton VSG Series

For those who desire a powerful and intoxicating flavor with a complex rich finish, look no further than the Ashton VSG. The VSG is blended exclusively for Ashton by Carlos Fuente Jr. using 4 to 5 year old aged Dominican tobacco taken from the finest and most fertile plants. The distinct flavor of VSG comes from its wrapper grown on a private estate in Ecuador owned by the Oliva family where this proprietary wrapper leaf is grown for the Fuente Family exclusively for Ashton VSG. The leaf is taken from the higher primings and matures slowly by sunlight filtered through the region¹s natural cloud covering. The result is the rich intoxicating wrapper which has made the Ashton VSG the most in demand cigar on the market today.

Appearanceark mocha brown color, toothy cigar with a smooth foot and nice cap. No soft spots.

Pre-light draw: Very earthy, sweet with hints of pepper.

First third: spicy, sweet and earthy like the pre-light draw. Its not overly sweet. Kind of like a little cane sugar in bold coffee. A little spicy bite on the back of the throat that is actually nice. If you've ever had Mayan spicy hot cocoa, you have an idea of what this cigar is tasting like. Personally, I LOVE hot peppers in my chocolate.

Second Third: Now, most of the spice is gone and the rest is very subdued. It now has a rich mocha flavor. Hints of dried dates on the finish. Hard to pull it out. There is also a taste of roasted cashews.

Final Third: Not much has changed except the mocha seems to have intensified and I now detect hints of nutmeg. Nice little surprise.

Overall Impressions: This is a really good cigar. The flavor profile is outstanding. The burn was excellent with no touch ups and the burn line was razor sharp. Ash was a nice bright white with mottled grey. I wish I had an infinitely supply of these.

Score: 96/100

Cigar-Coop.com
Cigar_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote