Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
cliffie3d
Club Member

Chateau Real, from SS sampler

(Good enough to have a 2nd dedicated thread.)....
<Thanks again to Saka for the sampler package.>

Chateau Real corona
March 11, 1:30pm, with coffee

Before lighting: uniformly packed, somewhat soft. Clean clip. Slight amount of pull when drawing. I sense a smooth nutty flavor.

Upon first lighting I notice a nice aroma; nutty, and with some tangy pepper I didn't expect with a purported "mild" cigar. Nice, smooth draw, not too loose, with a good volume of smoke. Perfect pairing with coffee; flavors blend nicely. Firm ash, gray and dark gray, fairly even burn. First ash came off cleanly at 1". The flavor reminds me of the oldest blend of Indian Tabac from the 90's, a favorite back then, before the introduction of the H2000 wrapper.

My cigar review laboratory doubles as a garage. Upon re-entering the "lab", the aroma was extremely pleasant, as "public-friendly" as a cigar could possibly be. And although the cigar was unattended for several minutes, the burn was still steady. My gauge to determine a cigar's smoothness is to periodically hold a mouthful of smoke for a few moments. The Chateau Real's aftertaste is very pleasing, with a toasty and peppery flavor without any harsh bite.

Have I mentioned the aroma? Have you ever stepped into a humidor and thought "That aroma - I want that experience in my cigar!"? This is as close as I've had.

The second ash fell off; I planned to sweep the floor anyway. While the ash isn't rock-hard, there's no flaking at all, and I'm reminded I don't have to mimic Winston Churchill with a 3" ash to enjoy a cigar. No problems here. Moving beyond the mid-point of the cigar, the burn is a steady circle around the solid ash. This cigar requires no tedious attention at all.

The last half of the cigar is very similar but with more pronounced flavors coming through. A pleasing woody, slightly sweet, aftertaste is present. Steady, consistent, enjoyable to the end. Smoke this cigar quickly or take your time; it just doesn't bite.

Drew can take his victory jog to homeplate on this one. The Chateau Real earns my applause in all categories. This is a medium cigar with a flavor profile that matches my cup of joe perfectly, but the added touch of pepper I assume will stand its ground with a heavier-hitting beverage later in the day. 9 out of 10. Bravo!