Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
Spiderfan

A Reveiw of Two, Aged Dominican Cigars

I realize that some folks do not like mild, Dominican cigars. Many tastes run toward stronger Nic and Dark Side cigars.

I too like strong cigars, especially after dinner or when having drinks with friends. But sometime for me, a mild cigar hits the spot, like in the early morning or on the golf course when my bad putting seems to get worse the more nicotine I have in my system.

Recently, I had the fortune of picking up two OLD boxes of Dominican cigars. How old...not sure... but the cello on both cigars is very, very yellow and the paper in the boxes looks like old parchment.

The first is a box of Ashton Cabnet No. 10, a 7.5 x 52 perfecto looking like an oversize Hemmingway. The wrappers are a smooth, light, golden brown..almost too pretty to smoke. Like most Ashtons, the construction and burn are perfect.

With some age, these cigars have lost all of the “Dominican” bite that some refer to. They are smooth and creamy with a mellow, comfortable strength. The flavor is dominated by a coffee & cream flavor, with a bit of orange on the back of the palate. About ½ way through, these big cigars pick up some light spice...a bit of cinnamon or nutmeg.

Not sure if it is the blend or the age, but during the last quarter, the No. 10s do show a little strength...never getting past medium, but some black tobacco flavors mingle nicely with the coffee and cream.

My best description of this cigar is elegant and comfortable.

The second is a box of Paul Garmirian Double Coronas. These 7.625 x 50 DC's are made in the Davidoff factory. I realize most folks consider these to be way over priced, but with some serious age, they are fantastic (as an aside, I've had some of these young, and they can be quite papery and acidic).

The box I have smells like an entire cigar shop, strong and sweet at the same time. Some of the samples in the box have a bit of bloom on them. Like the Ashton's the construction is dead on.

Smoking on of these is a bit of a ride...almost too many flavors to describe. They are not as creamy as the Ashtons, but have an interesting mix of cedar and nuts. I taste a background of pine in these. Some folks taste a bit of mint, but to me its more like pine.

About ½ way, this big cigar shows some nice hop like flavors...almost like an ale or IPA...with a hint of bitter chocolate. Nearing the end, the PG's pick up a hint of peat like a nice scotch.

With all these flavors going on, the big cigar stays nice and mild.

I believe both of these cigars show what a mild Dominican cigar can become with some age.

I'll be saving these for some special rounds of golf when the weather breaks.

Thanks for reading.

Mike