Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
shrink
Club Member

Partagas 8-9-8 Barnizado (OSU JUL02)

“The Spice is Nice, and will Suffice”

The 8-9-9V is Partagas’ interpretation of the classic dalia. This vitola is not only pleasing aesthetically, but ergonomically as well. And lying within its’ traditional 8-9-8 varnished cedar hinged-top box, it simply couldn’t be any more impressive. A truly elegant presentation.

I lifted the lid, and inhaled deeply. The pre-light scents were pure Partagas: all barnyard, wood and spice, infused with warm, aromatic cedar. The medium brown wrapper was slightly rough to the touch, with moderate veining, giving it a somewhat rustic appearance. The cigar I selected was perfectly formed, and consistently firm to the touch.

My dalia yielded to the flame, and greeted me with mouthfuls of dense, spicy and lightly peppered smoke. I wish that every cigar drew this well. The cigar soon settled into its characteristic flavor profile. The dominant taste is one of tanned leather and sweet decaying wood, with notes of cedar, cinnamon and other spices. Admittedly, the 8-9-8 lacks the complex layered flavor profile that is evident in other Partagas vitolas. It has neither the peppery intensity of the PSD4, nor the tangy citrus that characterizes the Series du Connaisseur.

But what this cigar lacks in complexity, it makes up for in spice. Rich Partagas spice that coats the mouth, tantalizes the tongue, and tickles the nose. More than anything else, the 8-9-8 Barnizado is a study in the subtleties and complexities of blending spicy aged tobaccos. Any cook knows that some of the most desirable and delicious spices are themselves blends of many harmonious ingredients. I could cite Chili powder, or Curry as examples, but nothing better illustrates the quality of Partagas spice than Paprika… pure imported Hungarian Paprika. It’s made from a variety of dried peppers; big and small; some red, some brown, some sweet, some spicy. Through proper drying, grinding and blending they are all brought together in a way that elevates an otherwise ordinary stew into a savory Hungarian “Paprikash”. Likewise, Partagas has mastered the blending of choice spice-bearing tobaccos, integrating them in such a way that the palate can barely discern the individual constituents. But it can readily appreciate the result.

The 8-9-8 grew stronger near the nub, but stayed in character throughout. An unrelenting and unapologetic celebration of the trademark Partagas spice that makes this dalia such a rich, classic, and deeply satisfying cigar.