Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
Peterg

Bolivar Coronas Extra from 2001

Ok well first and foremost, I want to thank Karl (Univibe88) for the awesome smokes he sent as a contest prize, as well as the opportunity to enjoy some sticks from the dark side that I might not have had the opportunity to enjoy otherwise.

As promised, I will review the Bolivar Coronas Extra that he sent me.

The stick was labeled as being from 2001, so it definitely had a decent amount of age on it. From reading other reviews on this vitola, I was afraid that it would perhaps be a little strong for my liking.
Once I retrieved this smoke from my humidor, I retired to my back deck with a tall mug of cool water to enjoy this smoke and watch the sun go down on this beautiful Easter evening. The Boli was firm to the touch but had a little bit of give when squeezed. I grabbed my double guillotine and snipped the capa on this bad boy and took a prelight draw. The draw proved to be just right. A TINY loose for my liking, but pretty close to perfect. It had a slightly spicy taste before it hit the flame, but also tasted of creaminess.
I proceeded to take hold of my Xikar torch lighter and toasted the foot and then took the first couple of draws to get the fun started. Immediately, the spice I had read so much about hit my palette as well as the taste of the warm leather. The cigar did require a few touch ups, but I attribute that to the fact that it was a little windy outside at the time I smoked this, but it was nothing outrageous and it didn't hinder my enjoyment of the cigar. As the cigar went on, the spice became more prominent, and I began to feel a tingle on my tongue and lips. The surprising thing about this cigar is the smooth earthiness. In my experience, a cigar with as much strength and spice as this cigar has, harshness is usually not far away. With this Bolivar, there was a definite smoothness. It's hard to explain, but the best likeness I can give is when someone refers to a beer as "very drinkable." It was powerful, but not overwhelming. As the wonderful hour I spent with this vitola began to wind down, the spice continued as the prevalent flavor, but with a certain mochaish undertone, and maybe a dark coffee flavor. Shortly thereafter, the nub of this finely crafter Cuban piece of art died out in the ashtray.
My overall impression of this cigar was amazing. Probably a little on the stronger/ fuller side of my palette, but definitely a smoke that I enjoyed. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give this one an 8.5. Excellent cigar, and once again thank you to Karl for gifting me this nicely aged specimen.

(That was my first "real" review, so dont laugh )

Peter G
Peterg is offline   Reply With Quote