Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Ashton VSG Wizard

"Dominican Delight"

Ashton VSG Cabinet Wizard

Dimensions: 6 inches by 56-ring gauge
Wrapper: From the Oliva family estate in Ecuador
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican, aged 4 to 5 years
Date smoked: Monday April 10th, 2006

Setting: Arriving home following work, I immediately headed out onto the back porch to take in the remainder of the afternoon sunshine.
Accompanying drinks: I poured a healthy measure of Hancock’s President’s Reserve Single Barrel Bourbon, clocking in at 44.45% alcohol by volume, as well as a tall glass of cool still water. The sumptuous American whiskey paired perfectly with the Ashton.

Colour of wrapper: The relatively delicate outer leaf sported a mottled mixture of Colorado tones, including lighter khaki and darker burnt umber, and emitted a semi-gloss glow in the sunlight.
Colour of binder: The heftier binder leaf appeared a reddish cocoa brown.
Colour of filler: The internal leaves spanned quite a wide spectrum, ranging from a Claro-ish poplar wood hue through rich cocoa brown to an almost blackish burnt umber.
Veins: The veins were sparsely distributed yet fairly prominent.
Tooth: The tooth was fine and evenly dispersed.
Cap: The upper portion of the outer leaf continued to spiral at a steadily decreasing angle into the region of the head, thereaby actually forming the base of the cap. This curvilinear arrangement was then crowned by an uneven though securely applied double-seam cap, which covered the remainder of the notably rounded head, and effectively rendered the entire structure a triple-seam affair.
Internal roll: The filler leaves were folded in a classic bookleaf pattern, with good packing evident.
Box press: Mild.
Finger feel: The Ashton exhibited a consistent, medium-firm degree of density.

Combustion: Some angulation as well as a few scallops during the early stages necessitated a couple of corrections. However, the aberrations resolved, leading to a fairly perpendicular and even burn edge by mid point. The ash routinely held for upward of 1½-inch, and left behind an increasingly blunted cone as it disengaged throughout the session. No re-lights were required.
Ash: The ember of the cigar appeared predominantly pale to medium grey with a slight charcoal hue near its center.
Total smoking time: The session lasted just over 1¼-hour.

Pre-light aroma: Earthy tobacco constituted the primary aspect of the pre-light aroma. This scent came underpinned by coffee with associated hints of chocolate, leather, wood and hazelnuts. An elusive honeyed sweetness lurked in the background.
Pre-light draw: Drawing on the unlit cigar elicited a much greater presence of wood, with cardamon and white pepper nuances providing for a subtle, tingly spiciness.
Post-light aroma: A rounded, enticing fragrance of rich tobacco tinged with sweetness wafted upward.

Early portion: My palate was greeted with layers of finely toasted Dominican leaf displaying the unmistakable taste of Sumatra coffee grounds. Sensations of Chinese five spices, tortière pie crust and cedar embellished the core tobacco thrust.
Mid point: Here, the flavour acquired a nicely rounded texture with just the right touch of offsetting piquancy. I also discerned the development of a creamy smoothness imbued with buttery sweetness.
Latter stages: Notions of nuts and nut husks emerged along with a complementing high-toned cedar and pepper crispness, which carried through to the finale.

Summary: In the tradition of the Ashton VSG Cabinet series, this relatively new addition offers a versatile, satisfying and totally non-abrasive smoking sojourn with good underlying complexity.

Thanks for permitting me to discover yet another fine cigar, Randy.