Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

Oliva Serie "O" Robusto

Cigar: Oliva Serie "O" cigar

Size: Robusto 5 x 50, in cello.

Blend Source: Esteli, Condega and Jalapa, Nicaragua.

Price: $5 to $7 retail single. You can get a much better price when you buy them by the box.

Profile: Medium +

The Oliva Serie "O" is an old favorite of mine. It is the Pater Familias for the Modern Oliva lines. Way back in 2005 it was even on the CA best of the year list. Way back then it was called the O-Ole`, I liked them then and I still like them now.

This cigar has a Sun Grown Habano Wrapper that has a flat matte finish and an almost Colorado coloring to it. It is solid to the touch, but you can see some twisting underneath, but otherwise a solid looking smoke. The head is firmly applied with a circular separate cap on top. There's a very slight nose off of the Wrapper, but the foot tells the tale and that bodes well for my immediate future. The clip is without drama, as is the snug but fine draw. This is the second one of these, I've had, in as many weeks. That one was very good. Now as I torch the foot, the air comes alive with scents and spices.

Note: Usually I note various pairing with cigars. I cannot enjoy a smoke without some type of liquid refreshment, it doesn't have to have alcohol in it, but it often does. For the last month, or so, I've been limiting myself to water or soda only. I'm neither on a wagon or off of one. I just want to see what effects I might observe, without any potent potables in the flavor mix. I'll share any observed revelations, should there be any.

The Serie "O" is quickly up to temp and providing the expected profiles. The textbook Nicaraguan tobaccos are on display with the rich and spicy notes of dark earth, pepper spice and just a touch of cedar. As this is a Robusto, I go ahead and remove the band. This is a simple affair on all Oliva products, because they have discovered the closely held dark secrets of attaching cigar bands to cigars, without ruining them. It sounds simple enough, but we all know many cigar brands that simply cannot accomplish that "simple task" and that's a peeve of mine. So, well done Oliva! (rant off)

I consider this a good honest cigar. There are no pretensions or hyperbole just a solid quality, clean, upfront med+ cigar. It sets and holds that great earthy spice and potency that I associate with quality Nicaraguan tobacco products. The Dark grey ring of ash holds on till you tap it off, revealing the lighter grey core ash. The draw remains snug but not too much so. The Oliva Robusto burns cool, straight and wobble free. When you get a cigar that just works, you are free to read or wander and think of other subjects. You cannot do that if you are fighting to keep one lit, constantly touching it up or one that burns hot or has a compromised wrapper unrolling on ya, ect. This little Oliva has some variations to the flavor, but mainly it's a rising and falling of potency. Sometimes, it's almost a hint and other times it crashes into your palate demanding your attention. I had been drinking only water and now switch to soda, because my stomach was buzzing at me.

Well, it's 1 PM on Sunday afternoon and the breezy Texas weather is on the march up to 96 degrees, today. Thank goodness for the Pecan trees shading the majority of the yard. This is a great little fire plug of a cigar. No, it's not mild in anyone's book, but neither is it a complete knock your socks off cigar either. It's a real honest medium + cigar with great flavor and a perfect burn. These kinds of cigars always seem to go quickly. As I retire this one I think...The Toro is my favorite size in this blend, but sometimes all you have time for is a Robusto. One could do a whole lot worse than selecting a Oliva Series "O" Robusto for that job.

Cheers!

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody

Last edited by bsslack; 08-30-2018 at 01:33 PM.
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote