Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2006, 07:07 PM   #1
Boomer

Dominican cigars with Cuban names. . .

Please forgive me for asking the most pedestrian of questions, but I was challenged earlier today, and wanted to make sure that I had the right answer the next time this came up. (I did try to perform a search - several times, but had no luck - not sure if I'm typing in the right info, or in the right area or not)

Anyway - here goes -

Someone came into the shop (was from another country) and was appalled that we had R&J, Bolivar, Montecristo, etc. that were not from Cuba. She asked me how this was possible.

My explanation: Please let me know if I am spouting some made up horse hockey!

The original families that owned the companies/farms in Cuba by those names - R&J, Bolivar, Montecristo, etc fled the country because of the shift in power. I understood that these families basically fled with seeds in their pockets, and that was basically it. Their original farms/property became the property of the state (Cuba) These ORIGINAL owners/families went to countries like honduras, dominican republic, nicaragua, and started growing, and producing under their original families names.

That's it in a nutshell. Is this correct?!? Am I an idiot, and don't know what I'm talking about?!? This chick really got uppity, and said she imported cigars for herself (whatever that means) and that she had never heard of such a thing.

Please set the record straight - I will bow down in humiliation sheepishly and ask for her forgiveness, and yours - if I am wrong.

Thanks for the clarification!

Brad.