Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2006, 12:14 PM   #1
Belgarion129
Club Member

Laphroaig 10 yr. cask strength

WOW. Ok, I bought it for a special occasion in September. Did you really think I would wait??? Anyway, I believe I've found a new go-to Islay.

I can't describe the subtle nuances like Doug can, but here's my take. Laphroaig has taken some of the medicinal characteristics away while leaving the essential smoke, peat and a very slight phenol taste. It has smoothed out the the bottling to make it incredibly smooth, rich and just all around fabulous.

As always, my tasting started with two fingers of scotch, a dash of water, lighting a cigar and sipping the scotch. I used a brandy snifter (I have to get scotch glasses!) which is great for getting the nose of the scotch. It was fabulous. I had lots of cold, fresh water to cleanse the palate after sipping the scotch. Those two fingers of scotch took me an hour to drink. To have rushed any more would have been a terrible mistake.

My recommendation is to get this scotch, pair it with a maduro cigar and prepare to enjoy. If you're an Islay fan, this is the stuff.