Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2006, 04:23 AM   #29
vernonator
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmag
There was a local guy here that made mead and won some awards for it. It was delicious stuff. He got his honey from the local bee keepers club that I was a member of for a few years. I'm sure using wild honey vs. Sue Bee was big factor, but I'd like to try some made with both just to see.
Actually with a well made traditional mead (straight honey no fruit/spices) made with a single variatel honey you can actaually taste the flavor of the flower the bees used. For example if the bees gathered their nectar in a peach orchard the mead will have hints of peaches.

Meads are generally of three catagories -
-Traditional Meads feature the character of a blended honey or a blend of honeys. Varietal meads feature the distinctive character of certain honeys.
- Melomel (Fruit Mead) - In well-made examples of the style, the fruit is both distinctive and well-incorporated into the honey-sweet-acid-tannin-alcohol balance of the mead. Some of the best strong examples have the taste and aroma of an aged Calvados (apple brandy from northern France), while subtle, dry versions can taste similar to many fine white wines
- Other - Often, a blend of spices may give a character greater than the sum of its parts. The better examples of this style use spices/herbs subtly and when more than one are used, they are carefully selected so that they blend harmoniously

Each of those can be Dry, Semi-Sweet or Sweet AND Still or Sparkling
vernonator is offline   Reply With Quote