Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2002, 05:59 PM   #1
neophyte
Club Member

This cigar was all over the place for ratings. Firefarmer loved it and wants more. Two tasters thought it was a middle of the road cigar. Overall it got an average rating of almost 34. The standard deviation is big so you are going to have to try it to make up your own mind. It was a Felipe Gregoria Belicoso. It has been rated by two other members of CW. ttp://www.cigarweekly.com/cigardb/cigar.asp?ID=2582712

Member 1008 127 188 1340 1597 218 Average

Const 3 3 4 4 3 5 3.67
Burn 3 1 4 4 4 5 3.50
Draw 3 3 3 4 4 5 3.67
Aroma 3 2 4 4 3 5 3.50
Flavor 5 6 8 6 5 9 6.50
Taste 5 5 9 6 5 9 6.50
Overall 5 5 8 6 5 9 6.33

Total 27 25 40 34 29 47 33.67

Member:1008
> Const:3
> Burn:3
> Draw:3
> Aroma:3
> Flavor:5
> Taste:5
> Overall:5
> Total:27
> PreSmoke:'Pre light smell was very good, the look of this stick was
> great! nice rich smell and good pre light draw.'
> Smoke:'This cigar smokes well, grey ash firm. nice draw and burn. The
> flavor is woody with a Woody / Metalic after taste, slightly spicy and
> sour.'
> Summary:'This was an interesting cigar.. very nice look and constuction.
> The flavor was lacking, and the sour / metalic
> flavor put me off a little. I give it 3 butts out of 5!'
> 3/10/2002 2:14:51 PM

Member:127
PreSmoke:'Cigar #188 is a nice looking torpedo shaped cigar with a dark brown wrapper . The wrapper is a little rustic but not too bad. The wrapper has fine veins present. The cap is smooth and comes to a fine point. No soft spots or lumps noted in the bunch. Pre-light draw is a little easy. Noted a bitter flavor to one cigar while testing the pre-light draw which kind of scared me.
Smoke:'I did not taste the bitter flavor noted at pre-light while smoking these cigars. I had burn problems with both samples. They would burn uneven, tunnel, and need to be relit to burn even. A dark gray ash was fromed. The cigars began as a mild body smoke. They progressed some but not to the point where I would call them a medium bodied cigar. Their flavors was of mildy sweet tobacco with some coffee flavors showing up also. Lots of mouthfilling smoke was formed.
Summary:'The only problem I had with this cigar was the burn quality. Fighting with a cigar really irritates me and takes away from my smoking pleasure. The flavors of this cigar were fine but I would have liked more intensity from the flavor and body of the cigar. This cigar would be a good mornng or early afternoon smoke. I liked the flavors eventhough they are a little mild but I would not go looking for this cigar. I would try other sizes in this line.'

Member:195
PreSmoke:'Both cigars were classic torpedos. The dark maduro wrapper was quite thick with a few veins in each sample. Both samples were quite dense with no soft spots.
Smoke:'Wow, what a nice cigar! While the thick wrapper meant I had to give this cigar some attention lest it go out, there was enough flavor and depth to hold my attention. Both cigars offered a mild nicotine rush that was combined with a delicious full body. I usually don't notice the aroma of cigars but these offered a certain "richness" that I really enjoyed.
If I had to guess, these were Honduran in origin.
Summary:'I smoked both of these cigars while roasting coffee. The aroma or roasted beans combined with the aroma from the cigars was intoxicating. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this cigar to an experienced smoker. The earty taste combined with the subtle sweetness of the maduro wrapper puts
this cigar in high class.

Thanks for the opportunity to review these.'

Member:1340
PreSmoke:'A well made pyramid. Pre-smoke nose revealed some nice spice. Wrapper was slightly toothy/veiny and on the medium/dark side of maduro. Both units were well rolled with a well formed pointed cap.
Smoke:'Both samples were given ample time to rest prior to smoking, with each performing equally well. Burn was even with a solid ash throughout requiring only some minor touch-ups. Draw was very good. Flavor remained
> consistent, displaying a spicy/medium bodied profile with a somewhat shifting complexity. Power accelerated towards the end of the short finish. Not a nubber in my book. The best part of this smoke was in the
first 2/3.'
Summary:'Albeit not one of my favorite shaped vitolas, this turned out to be an OK smoke. I would have preferred the flavor to be more amplified throughout the duration of the cigar. Not really my cup of tea nor one
that I would go out of my way to purchase or keep in stock. For some however, this may be a pyramid you might want to check out.....depending on the price point that is.

Member:1597
PreSmoke:'Cigar #188 were a very dark brown, slightly rustic looking torpedo. The cap of one sample was poorly constructed and you could draw through it before clipping the end. The bunch was medium with no soft spots throughout.
Smoke:'The draw was very good and the cigar produced a large volume of rich smoke. The cigar is of medium/full strength with a medium body. Overall, the cigar exhibited a Nicarauguan flavor profile. It became fairly spicy towards the last 1/4, with no bitterness or "off" flavors. The cigar became soft the last 1/3. The aftertaste was pleasant.
Summary:'Overall, I liked the cigar but was not enthusiastic about it. a good everyday smoke if the price is low enough.'

Member:1597
PreSmoke:'Cigar #188 were a very dark brown, slightly rustic looking torpedo, 6' X 52 RG. The cap of one sample was poorly constructed and you could draw through it before clipping the end. The bunch was medium with
no soft spots throughout. The wrapper had a slightly oily sheen and was lightly veined.'
> Smoke:'The draw was very good and the cigar produced a large volume of rich smoke. The cigar is of medium/full strength with a medium body. Overall, the cigar exhibited a Nicarauguan flavor profile. It became fairly spicy towards the last 1/4, with no bitterness or "off" flavors. The cigar became soft the last 1/3. The aftertaste was pleasant.
Summary:'Overall, I liked the cigar but was not enthusiastic about it. a good everyday smoke if the price is low enough.'

Member:218
PreSmoke:'Dark veiny and rustic looking oily wrapper but beautiful by all standards.
This is a pyramid shaped cigar and is of excellent construction.The cap or tip is a bit rough but no big deal since it gets snipped off anyway.Perfect pre-lite draw with a very appeasing flavor.'
Smoke:'This is a tasty torpedo right from the start!! Full of smoke with toasty,spicy and earthy flavors. Gives a delightful nose sting and is getting better and better with each puff. The burn and draw is perfect.The ash is flakey and flat with zero burn problems.'
Summary:'Great cigar,a must try!!! Very enjoyable with loads of smoke.It is not supe strong or overpowering but certainly can not be called mild either.I would suggest this to anyone that enjoys a full bodied full flavored cigar.I really enjoyed reviewing
these two torpedos and would buy some if they are in the under $5.00 price range.'

What goes into one's mind without benefit of reason cannot be removed by benefit of reason